New stereo system- iPod not playing in stereo

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Precision101, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Precision101

Precision101

Hey guys so I acquired my parents old stereo system from the 80s. Its RCA input and output. It's a ken wood amp with two dynamic audio cabinets. I plug my record player into it and I have great stereo sound but when I plug my I pod in its only coming out of one speaker. I have a aux to RCA cable to connect to the back of the amp into either the "aux" input or the "phono"input. Phono I plug into with my record player using the aux to RCA adapter and I use the same adapter but I plug into the aux input for the I pod. I'm stumped on this one. I have the cabs connected to the amp just fine. Now the weird thing is that I can get the other half of the stereo sound out of the speakers in the record player but it's in mono when it's not all connected to the record player speakers."my RP speakers are crap so I got this". Can anyone help?

2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Are you using a stereo cable?

3. Precision101

Precision101

Good question. I'm not sure. Actually it might not be. Can you suggest me a good stereo cable for this type of situation? I know the one in my record player is stereo. The Aux to RCA adapter has a 1/4 jack so I can do a 3.5 mm one or one on each side.

4. Precision101

Precision101

The thing is I have a media Bridge and it says it in stereo but everything Is hooked up right.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

New stereo system- iPod not playing in stereo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought something off of ebay that did that.

7. Precision101

Precision101

I guess I need a really good stereo cable. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1395460357.269562.jpg

8. Precision101

Precision101

Wait.. I was plugging an auxillary cable with a jack in the 1/4 input when I need a STEREO cable connected to 2 RCA cables. Wow... Palm to face. Definitely stopping at radio shack tomorrow.

9. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

I love when questions answer themselves :) That said, you do NOT want to use the phono input. It is pre-amped and eq'd specifically to an old vinyl work around.

10. Precision101

Precision101

For the iPod? I know. I'm using the auxillary input for the iPod and I'm using the phono for the record player.

11. Precision101

Precision101

I think I just need to get a stereo cable with two RCA cables to plug into the aux input into the amp to get the sound out of mono. Sound right? :D

12. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

If you have 2 spare RCA's, you could get an adapter from them to a stereo mini

13. Precision101

Precision101