1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New string loose twang.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FroggerN3D, Jan 1, 2014.

1. FroggerN3D

FroggerN3D

Hello. I recently had my bass restrung at a local store. The new strings are much looser than I've ever seen before and they do not have the deep sound that all basses had previously. Are all strings going to be this new lighter gauge and I'm just stuck?
  2. lz4005

lz4005

I'm very tempted just to say 'yes'...but against my better judgement:

1 Exactly what strings did you have on your bass before? Were they roundwound, flatwound, something else? What brand? What gauge? What scale length?

2 What type of strings did you tell them to put on your bass?
  3. pfox14

pfox14

Obviously the new strings you got are completely different from the strings you had. You should have specifically asked for an identical set. Now you will have to get the bass re-strung again.
  4. Precision101

Precision101

You probably got low tension brand new spankin rounds. New rounds don't have a lot of low end until they are broken in.
  5. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Disclosures:
    GHS Strings, HipShot Products, Pick Guy custom picks
    [​IMG]
  6. Precision101

Precision101

Atleast with d addarios. I've put the pro steels on and It took some time to get the "low end" from them. It might take a couple of weeks but once they are broken in I still got the brightness but they are broken in. there so bright and high end.
  7. therhodeo

therhodeo

Mr. Palm meet Mr. Face.
  8. LagBox

LagBox

Do you have to chip holes in your new instruments to 'reveal' the tone?
  9. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

10. Precision101

Precision101

Hey this is just what I've experienced from MY bass through MY amp from MY strings. No need to bash on somebody for an opinion or experience. I hear things way differently. The way I hear and think of it is that when I put new rounds on my bass I have to crank the bass up and roll off some tone because of how much high end and brightness there is. but once they get broken in I find my strings mellowing out a bit and I can fit a bit more bass in my playing. Thanks for the sarcasm but my tone is fine.