1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

new string set has B string mismatched response/sustain

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by wrench45us, Oct 17, 2013.

1. wrench45us

wrench45us

I just had a Status Graphite half-wounds put on my Yamaha BB425x, replacing GHS boomers -- B string diameter change from .128 to .130.
    The double ball version of these half-wound strings did wonders for my Steinberger tone.
    Now I'm not completely sure if it's been breaking those strings in on the Steinie for the last 6 months or the break in period under the new Audio Technica headphones, but it sounds good to me.

On the Yamaha now with the single ball version of these half-wound strings my B string has like 2/3 of the sustain of the other strings. Given a similar stroke I can count a sustain to 7 on the E, A, D, G string -- maybe a count of 4 or 5 on the B string. Much more a thump than a sing. The other strings have the metal zing of new strings, the B not so much. I expect that metallic zing to mellow out in time

Should I expect that the response is something that's going to even out over across strings over time, or do I just have a bad string?

I had such trust that these strings would be as good on the Yamaha as they are on the Steinie.
    Now maybe I have to shop around again -- in same diameter/tension range.
  2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

that's happened to me as well. probably just a bum string. send a pm to GHS official about your experiance. i did and he sent me a replacement for the dead string as well as a whole new set. they will stand behind their products.
  3. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he looks Supporting Member

Have you checked some standard issues? Isn't the string twisted between bridge and nut? Did you push down the newly installed sting firmly over the saddle and nut, in order to get well defined bends?
  4. wrench45us

wrench45us

checked some standard issues --loosened it all up and reset and retuned.
    seems to have helped a bit

tone is consistent across strings. only the sustain falls off enough to be noticeable on the B string
    may just be the physics of a larger string self-dampening sooner.
    If I play w/o amp the string response seems closer to identical across strings -- may be some sort of feedback re-excitement being set up ???
    I don't know I don't have enough experience to tell what's 'bad' and what's 'natural' -- haven't noticed this with previous strings on this bass or similar strings on other bass.

I seem to already be adapting my playing to compensate.
    I'll give it some time, but have ordered some GHS Precsion Wounds in case it bugs me to distraction

seems strings are one of the more inexpensive ways to 'gain knowledge' vs changing bass or amp or pedal
  5. Jay2U

My experience is the other way round. My flatwound Ernie Ball 0.130 B string sustains for ages. I think that's due to the mass. The moving mass represents more energy. In some cases the construction of the bass (body to neck joint, bridge, tuners and stiffness of the neck) sucks out the vibration of the string. However if your bass used to produce a healthy sustain before, chances are that that B string is the cause. :meh:
  6. wrench45us

wrench45us

thanks
    I was looking at it that it also took more energy to get it vibrating -- so compensating in the playing
    but it is seeming more and more to be a string that's off in some way.

when I started playing not even a bad setup bothered me. The clerk in the store had to point out how badly my bass needed it. And I didn't pay all that much attention to tone or consistent tone, now I almost feel too sensitized
  7. Jay2U

Different here. I've been playing bass for three years now. When I started, everything had to be set up as accurate as possible, maybe because I'm a technician. Playing at a decent level now, I don't care so much, as I can compensate for minor issues (that's what I like about fretless, they are always in tune) :D