new strings and sudden action change

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by peddles, Jan 1, 2013.

1. peddles

peddles

I recently bought a new pair of elixir 4 string super light gauge strings and now my action is really low. While in standard tuning It feels like I'm playing in drop c tuning. I've never had a problem with these strings and sure I put them in right...Any insight on this? Also the stings EA and DG are spaced further apart than normal.

2. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Assuming that you're using the same guage string it could be the truss rod slipped a bit when you released the tension. Your saddles got tweeked while you changed the strings. When you put the string on you didn't make sure they came across the saddle at the center?

But these are all guesses.

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

String spacing and action changing are not symptoms of faulty strings. It is likely the strings are not installed correctly or the bridge has moved and possibly the neck needs to be adjusted.

Did you change the gauge of strings you are using? What type of bass? Have you checked the bridge saddles to make sure they are seated properly?

If none of this makes sense to you it is probably best to spend $50 on a set-up.

4. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

If your action is now really low from just changing strings, your saddles moved during installation. There is no other possible explanation. As for spacing, just think about what you are saying: that the strings are somehow responsible. No. Check your saddles and put them right.

Look if you are going to play bass, you're going to have to learn how the simple physics involved work and learn how to maintain it. Read the setup stickies in this forum and watch " Carl Pedigo's" setup vids on YouTube.

Paying money for others to setup a bass after a simple string change is costly and comes off as laziness because people don't want to spend the couple of hours it takes to learn how to do it. It is so simple. Learn it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Your bass needs to be re setup; the action has changed, because the string gauge is much lighter, so there's less tension. At the very least, the trussrod needs to be adjusted to take this into account. Changing string gauge radically will necessitate resetting intonation, as well.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

JLS saw the same key words that I did.

You installed lower tension strings, the neck responded to the change in tension, the neck change resulted in the action changing, and you need a new setup.

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

You play a two string bass?
    Your neck needs relief added.