1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New strings bad fret noise!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by thereallime, Feb 1, 2014.

1. thereallime

thereallime

Just changed strings went from Hybrid (.105's) to cobalt (.100's) and now theres terrible fret noise on the first 5/6 frets. ***? It played fine with the other ones. Should i have stuck with the .105 gauge? Why was it sounding great but now theres buzz. I got the bass set up few months ago so i dont think its the neck
  2. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Easy.
    Different tension.
    Do a set-up or have a tech do a set-up when changing gauges.
  3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Could be tension difference. Try a truss rod adjustment and see if the problem persists. Could also be that the slots in the nut have become too wide for the .100s since you always use .105s.
  4. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he looks Supporting Member

Less tension makes the neck to bow a little backward. The trussrod should be loosened a bit. The difference is about 3 pounds per string, adding to 12 pounds less tension.
  5. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

Yes, loosen the truss rod - likely a 3/16 inch allen key for Most Fenders, others 4mm, Peaveys sometimes need a thin walled socket - if you find the right tool, go counterclockwise 1/8th of a turn and see how she plays.
  6. pfox14

pfox14

Lighter gauge strings mean less tension and less relief (straighter - flatter neck). As suggested, you want to loosen the truss rod to increase the relief, but also check the action too. Raising the action by raising the saddles can get rid of a lot of buzzing problems too. In other words, you have to do a completely new setup after a string change like that.
  7. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Is the string wound from the bottom of the tuner? That can make all the difference. And then, and only then, should you try stuff like adjusting the truss rod, etc.and...just for the record, once I have a new bass setup to where it suits me ( I do my own setups) I've never had to adjust ANYTHING, EVER.