1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New strings... dead G string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by andyville99, Dec 25, 2013.

1. andyville99

andyville99

Hi, just joined this forum so my first post...
    Just changed the strings on my Geddy Lee Jazz bass to Fender 7150M's (nickel medium gauge .045-.105) and the G string seems really dead (no sustain) from the 3rd to the 6th fret). It's fine elsewhere on the neck. Setup and string height seems ok - not too high and not too low. It's been so long since I changed strings I'm not certain what the previous strings were but I thought they were 7250M's, same gauge.

These do feel noticeably stiffer or higher tension than what was on it before though. Previous strings had black silks and these have none. Would changing to a .040-.100 set solve the sustain problem? I'm a bit concerned about going to a .040-.095 set from a fret buzz perspective - but can't seem to find many .040-.100 sets. Have also considered going to flatwounds but haven't made that leap yet. Preferred tone is the old Mel Schacher GFR sound if that helps. Have a Tech21 Landmark 120 amp, to get built in distortion.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Precision101

Precision101

Welcome to talk bass!
    1- you either have dead notes on your bass (witch most fenders do) or the g string wasn't wound properly in the factory. (I have the same problem with rotosound swings)
    2- strings will feel stiffer if they are new especially fender 7250's. so that's kind of a normal type thing.

Maybe try to get a refund? A lower gauge wouldn't solve the problem. And I've gotten a dead g string before. It's not fun. Is the g string Dead when you play it open period? (Not as bright as others) or is it just those frets? again you might have dead notes on your fretboard. I'd recommend a fat finger by fender they kind of help with that. Good luck

3. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

^ what he said plus besides setting your string height, you may want to check to see if the neck relief and intonation are ok. It's always a good idea to do a full setup if change brands or gauges.

4. Precision101

Precision101

Gah! Forgot about the intonation and relief. Yes try a complete set up.

5. Register to disable this ad