1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New Strings - Innovations vs Gut - Rockabilly

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by BassSpy, Mar 25, 2014.

1. BassSpy

BassSpy

So I'm finally ordering a new UB and really excited. Sad to retire my old one, but the issues are getting too expensive to maintain. So here's my dilemma: At first I though, well, I'm spending the money, might as well splurge and go with gut. I play rockabilly, and enjoy going to jazz and swing here and there, so I'm not all slap, just mostly. I've never owned gut strings, which might be an issue. If I don't like them, I've just wasted enough to get 2 of any other set. I currently use SilverSlaps. I like them, though I'm getting string burn. I don't blame the strings, its probably me being a pansy. I did notice the Rockabilly REDs on Gollihur which also peeked my interest. So calling all string aficionados, for my style(s), what should I get: Lenzner Guts, SilverSlaps, or Rockabilly REDs? Thank you!

2. Fretless55

Fretless55

I've been happy with Inno. Super Silvers and Golden Slaps on my two basses.
    I have tried the Inno. Rockabilly and honestly wasn't impressed, they felt and sounded "plasticky"...

3. BassSpy

BassSpy

Right on. Thanks for the input. Well, maybe the reds are out then. Right when you said 'plasticky', Weedwackers came to mind and there was nothing I liked about them, even when I was trying to imitate psychobilly styles. I hope that doesn't sell them short with others that like them, but the medium tension might not be good since I'm so used to lower tension. So now its between SilverSlaps and Gut, and on a side note, purely for aesthetics, Silver or Gold for a blonde bass, non-ebony fretboard?

4. BassSpy

BassSpy

To add to my confusion, if anyone might be able to read deeper and suggest a mixed set, I'd happily look at that option as well.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bskts247

bskts247

I would say try the Super Silver innovations. Just to start it off. You never no what repairs youre gonna have to do with your new bass (set up, finger board sanding etc) and I hear (second hand) that pulling guts on and off isn't good for them (someone may correct me).

7. korotkov

korotkov

hey, id go Lenzner guts

just check the records you like and see if the players have gut strings. there is no way to imitate that sound, to me so if you want it you have to go gut. im not really into rockabilly but as far as i know players used guts till mid-60s mostly so if you like those records you have no choice ))

8. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

Super Silvers have more tension than Silver Slaps, not a good idea.

You might want to get a naked gut G to find out if you like that or not.
    I never used them myself (being a non-slapper), but the Golden Slaps might be a bit thicker than the Silver Slaps, so closer to the gut string diameter.
    As far I know, Psycho Slaps have less tension than Silver Slaps.

For playing swing and jazz I won't go lower in tension than Silver Slaps myself.

9. tyb507

tyb507

I think you'll always wonder unless you try the guts! Spend the money on the Lenzners. If you don't like them, you'll be able to sell them in a day for $150. Consider the loss R&D cost. There's a good market for used guts, it seems.

Not a bad idea to get just the D and G to try. I didn't like the Lenzner wound strings, but just because I prefer flatwounds. I'm using Gamut Pistoy D and G over Oliv E and A. I'd have been totally happy with my Lenzner D/G if I hadn't tried the Pistoys (I sold all the other guts I had collected including very nice Dlugoleckis and saved the Lenzners as backups).

I bet you can find a used pair to try out...keep an eye on the classifieds here and join the "Upright Bass Gear Buy, Sale or Trade" facebook page and post a "want" ad. (In fact, a new Lenzner G string just went up in the classifieds for $39.)

10. BassSpy

BassSpy

So maybe getting an E and A Golden/SilverSlap single and a D and G in gut might be a good compromise. Thank you all for your help.

11. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    Super Silvers are essentially "medium gauge" Silver Slaps. AFAIK, same construction, same design, just heavier tension strings. Instead of calling Silver Slaps "Super Silver Lights", they gave them a different name.

And the Golden Slaps are exactly the same string as the Silver Slaps, just with a different colored thread under the clear outermost wrap. (Same string, different color.)

Same thing with the Ultra Blacks - what they call the "Rockabilly" set are basically "Ultra Black Lights." The new "reds" set are different. Christopher played them for a couple months; when he comes back from his tour next Tuesday, you can ask him for a more complete assessment.

Hope that helps.

12. BassSpy

BassSpy

Thanks Mark. I'm actually on your site piecing together everything I need or want. Is my idea of mixing SilverSlaps and gut a plausible one or should I go with a different E and A to go with the guts?

13. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

I once mixed Efrano (german manufacturer with nice prices) gut G and D with Silver Slaps A and E and this is a very nice combination for pizz. Purely arco the Efrano wound gut A and E were better than the Silver Slaps, but the sustain of the Efrano wound guts was too short for my taste.

14. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    It's certainly plausible. FYI, Christopher's current combo is Silver Slap D and G, and Super Silver A and E (he wanted a little more tension and punch on the bottom, but he's doing a lot of slapping with his main gig right now.) So to add to what DoubleMIDI said, either Silver Slaps or Super Silvers, depending on your tension preference, should work out.

15. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

Since the Efranos are a bit lower tension (and also a bit thinner), Super Silvers might be a better match for medium tension gut strings (that is medium tension for gut, not medium tension for steel strings).
    Since Lenzner gut is a bit thicker than the standard Efrano gut, Super Silvers might be a better choice for them.

16. neddyrow

neddyrow

I'm reading through the string threads and trying to find a place to ask my question (this seems to be the best place) which is:

I use all plain lenzner guts and am looking for an A and E that works well with gut D and G. What does talkbass recommend?

I play bluegrass but slap most of the time. I like the natural sound of all plain guts. (And to the OP, the maintenance is not as bad as some people say). The problem I am having is that the E and A are pretty thick (to get the volume needed) but they are kind of clunky. I'm trying to do a little (I swear just a little) more that just root/five stuff and the big strings make it tough to play quicker notes. I'm sure I'll get better with more practice but I'd like to try something different but the same.

I would like the sound of gut when played and slapped but can't find a good compliment. I've tried super silvers, velvet garbos and even weed wackers but nothing I like. So should I go silver slaps, reds, the blacks or something else?

17. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Have you tried wound gut E&A?

18. neddyrow

neddyrow

I've stayed away from the wound gut because it's wrapped with metal and I don't care for the metal slapping sound. Correct me if I'm wrong. Please