New strings: Twangy/Metallic open notes... ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Xren, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Xren

Xren

I got myself some new D'Addario ProSteels EPS 160, and while the 'closed' notes (so, while holding a fret) sound alright (the sound of brand new strings is not what I'm looking for), the open notes sound twangy and/or metallic like. So basically, the open A string sounds very different to the E5 note.

Will this wear off or do I need to do some adjustments? I've searched the web but couldn't find anything useful.

Thanks in advance!

2. KJung

KJung

IMO, you are most likely hearing the very wide, even, pure response of those new strings 'uncovering' some issues with your instrument that are typically hidden as a string gets older and the deep lows and upper treble start to disappear from your tone.

Just give them 4-8 hours of playing time, and assuming you didn't hear this issue with your bass and the strings you had on your instrument previously, I'm pretty sure you will be fine.

3. tlr1293

tlr1293 Supporting Member

...unless these are a different brand, type, or gauge of strings - then a setup is typically needed.

4. Xren

Xren

Yeah, They're another brand.

So what would cause this? Adjusted string height and I think that helped a bit, but not much. Couldn't adjust it that much though due to fret buzz.

Should I try adjusting the neck a bit?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KJung

KJung

See post 2 :smug: Set-Up or neck adjustment would not impact what you are hearing.

7. tlr1293

tlr1293 Supporting Member

It certainly did when I took it in and had a pro setup done.
    I can setup a bass, but so many things go into it...

Anyway - get a setup - doesn't cost much.

Anytime you change strings by brand, gauge, or type (flats, rounds, etc...) you should get a setup. All the different strings out there have differening tensions and vibration radius - and it all effects playability and sound.

8. Craigmartini

Craigmartini

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: EMG pickups, Harke, GRABBIT stands.
    I see you went with steel strings. Those are the brightest tone you can get. They will settle down soon if you play alot. If you don't like that sound I would suggest sticking with nickel strings, or nickel flatwounds.

I'm not saying that new nickle strings aren't bright cause they are, but they don't stay bright for nearly as long as steel.

I, on the other hand love steel strings. They are nice and fresh sounding for a longer time for me.

Craig

9. sonic assassin

sonic assassin

you DONT want the sound of brand new strings? then dont play steels.. buy a set of flats if you want strings that already dead.

however, give them a month, and they will sound nice and dull. mine sure did. thats the last time i buy anything other than elixir.

10. Iceman327

Iceman327

Just stick a little strip of foam right next to the bridge. Eliminates twangy noise and rounds out tone for that vintage sound.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

He's probably figured it out over the last 4 years since he posted that :)