1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

"New" strings with rust on them, can they be cleaned?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by phatcyclist, Feb 2, 2014.

1. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

I bought a bunch of strings "as-is" on eBay, and only one set was unused. However, these strings have a little surface rust on them.

Now, I didn't pay much but it would be great if they could not be a total loss. Any ideas? Should I just pitch them in the trash?
  2. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

If it were me I'd definitely want to at least try to resurrect them.
    Others (with more money than me :rolleyes: ) will no doubt say throw them away and buy new ones.

Here's what I'd probably do:

1. Give them a thorough rub with a Scotchbrite pad.

2. Wipe them thoroughly with a Bass Brites cloth.

3. Boil them in water for 5 minutes.

4. Pull them out of the boiling water hot and let them air dry for 10 mins.

5. Give them a rub with a GHS Fast Fret pad.

6. Fit them to a bass and play away!
  3. phatcyclist

phatcyclist

I dug a copper Chore-Boy pad out from under the kitchen sink and got after them. They seem to be good now, and I believe they are exactly the same gauge and type as the stings I have on my bass; GHS Brite Flats.

I'm seriously thinking about swapping out the strings I have, although they're in good shape they've been tensioned on this bass for 25+ years at this point. Of course, I now have a good spare set too.