1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by thumpmaster, Jan 15, 2014.

1. thumpmaster

thumpmaster

I have been using Ernie Ball Slinky 45-105 forever. I bought a case of 24 a few years ago, and I finally went through all of them. Now all of basses need new string. I have been looking at the newer EB Cobalt. Has anyone tried these, and are there any other strings I should look at? Oh yeah, I play mainly in an 80's cover band, but I also do some funk trio instrumental stuff.
  2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    FireMelon
    Have you checked here in the "strings" section?
  3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

DR Sunbeams. prepare to be blown away. :cool:
  4. Davo-London

Davo-London

DR Sunbeams: my goto strings.

Davo
  5. Envincibal

Envincibal

I absolute love Cobalts! They add a nice mid-rangey grind, and really help me to cut through my guitarist Mesa 4x12 & 2x12 (yes, he's using 6 12's!).
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

Compared to Slinkies, Cobalts will be brighter sounding and rougher feeling. Kinda like Rotosound 66's.

For the same price as Cobalts I personally like DR Dragon Skins but of course strings are a personal preference.

Heck, just buy a bunch of different strings and see what you like best! Check out www.bassstringsonline.com where you'll get the best price and selection, plus a TB user discount :)
  7. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

I have tried tons of round wound strings and I keep going back to the Ernie Ball Slinky's. Before spending tons of cash on a wild goose chase you might consider staying with what has worked for you.
  8. Nev375

Nev375

My main bass has a set of Elixir nanowebs I put on a long time ago... 9 months to a year..something like that?

I play at least every other day for a few hours and primarily use my fingernails and a thumbpick. Sometimes aggressively.

They still have every bit of bright zingy pianosound as day one. Theres no fraying or flaking that some people have claimed and personally I like the slick feel of them. Some people dont.

As my other basses strings die out and need to be replaced they will all be getting these. They are worth every penny as they have already outlasted what a couple or three other sets of strings would have got me.
  9. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

My recommendation is always going to be Rotosound swingbass 66 RS66LD strings. Nothing else that sounds like em.
  10. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

I still whish Ernie ball made a 145 bass string. OTher wise I would of move over to that brand its a great one at that.
  11. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

12. FourBanger

FourBanger

If you want a change but nothing too drastic or more expensive than Slinkies you could try my favorite: GHS Boomers!
  13. thumpmaster

thumpmaster

The two basses that I want to change strings on are my Euro Spector and my Warwick Streamer Stage ll. They both have fantastic tone by themselves, but neither one cuts through in the band, quite as well as my other basses. That is why I was thinking about trying the Cobalts or something a little brighter, so I can cut through in the band a little better.
  14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I switched to Cobalts about 6 months ago and can't imagine using anything else. Great mid range growl that cuts through but very warm at the same time. The feel isn't as rough as some of the stainless strings currently available. I am getting more compliments on my tone that I ever have in my more than 35 years of playing.
  15. thumpmaster

thumpmaster

That is good to hear. So maybe I will try a pair. Especially since I can get EB's really cheap. I am not sure how much the Cobalts will be, but I got my case of 24 Slinkys for only $219 plus tax. Of course, that was like 5 or 6 years ago.
  16. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

Only one thing they don't have a .145 string. Thats what am looking for really. I may end up trying the La Lattles strings. If I like thoses then. I'll throw thoses onto my 7 string as well.
  17. Jensby design

Jensby design

Well no, but GHS makes Ken Smith strings and they have a .145. I've never tried it but I would recommend it you.:ninja: