New Tire Day

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Auzzie-Phoenix, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Auzzie-Phoenix

Auzzie-Phoenix

About a week ago, I got to learn exactly how bad Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires are in the snow (not even a lot of snow either...), so since Kelly Tires doesn't make a tire in the size I need, I've had to do the whole tire shopping song and dance. Fast forward to today, tires were ordered and they're in, just need to get them put on. I decided upon the continental extremecontact DWS all-seasons.

Review of tires will follow after road testing (especially snow testing).

2. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

Even though you've already bought your tires if anyone else wants a recommendation I will recommend:

Hercules Terra Trac A/T

http://www.buywheelstoday.com/products/Terra Trac A/T.bwt

My uncle owns a tire shop and these come highly recommended. I run them on my truck and my dad runs them on all his work trucks. we plow snow in 2 wheel drive with these puppies on.

3. Auzzie-Phoenix

Auzzie-Phoenix

Well, I got to test out my new tires in the snow last night. For all-season radials, the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires do a pretty good job. Decent stopping distance in snow, not a lot of sliding/fishtailing either. Granted you can't take sharp turns at speed, but let's be realistic it's snowing outside, common sense should prevail and tell you to go slow when you need to make a sharp turn. Riding comfort is good, and road noise is minimal. They don't take the corners as hard as the Michelin Pilots will, but I'd much rather have safety and performance the continentals give me in winter. The tires do have a slight lurch to them in cold weather when you first start driving, but it stops once the tires are warmed up (within 1-2 miles). Fuel efficiency is pretty much comparable to the michelins in medium and cold and medium temp's, warm weather efficiency will have to remain for late spring/summer.

Overall the tires performed well, including my hillclimb test on a mostly unplowed backroad. Would I recommend trying to take curves at the full speed limit? NO. But you're definitely not going to be sliding all over the road or unable to make it up a hill, either. Car used is a 2010 Ford Fusion SE i4, tires are Continental ExtremeContact DWS p225/50zr17 94w (runflat model= zr, not standard r) gas tank was full, so as to test at nominal driving weight without adding to the trunk load.

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

I think I would have bought a set of 16" steel wheels and put snows on it instead.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hover

hover

Yeah man, a set of steels would have been like 70-80 bucks tops, and you would have saved on your tires, and on demount-remount fees.

7. tplyons

tplyons

This, but I prefer 15" steelies if they fit around your brakes. Generally leads to a larger sidewall and slightly cheaper tires in my experience, and more forgiving if you bump that curb that's obscured by snow.

This is my first year not using snow tires in a LONG time. I used to run Firestone Winterforces on my El Camino and on my Chevy HHR. This year, I got my Subaru Crosstrek and the stock all-seasons are doing the trick so far.

All and all, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one excited by new tire day!

8. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

The winter/ice yokohoma my parents have on both of their vehicle are pretty awesome.

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

15's wouldn't fit on a Fusion. That particular car was available with either a 16" or 17" wheel from the factory. We put 16" steelies and snows on my neighbor's Milan, and so far she likes the ride better than when she had the 17's on it.

Also, 15" tires are not as common as they used to be.

10. tplyons

tplyons

True. I lucked out with my HHR then... had enough room under the 15's and saved about $150 on the set.

I like the ride better too with those tiny wheels.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What you're fighting is rubber's low coefficient of friction with ice (snow).

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Go directly to Tirerack.com and Discounttire.com and start reading reviews.

And if you wish, to to Ebay and pick up a set of spare wheels for snow tires - then buy snow tires, leave them mounted on the spare wheels and just change wheels with the seasons.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Tirerack.com sells steelies for about $40-50 depending on size and will mount and balance your tires before shipping. Highly recommended.