New to 5-String: Need Help!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by logans59, Jan 8, 2013.

1. logans59

logans59

So I just bought a MTD Kingston Heir 5 from a fellow TBer. It's a couple years old and I am the third owner and I was looking for some new strings for it, but I'm not really sure what I want/need. I play at my church so I like that kind of modern tone.
    Any suggestions? (please include gauges as I have no idea what is needed for a 5er)
  2. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

I like DR Sunbeams 45-130.
  3. 3mrhythm

3mrhythm

i've been hearing good things about the new slinky cobalts.. i plan to pick of a pair soon to give them a shot.
  4. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

I like 45/65/85/105/130tw D'Add Prosteels.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Modern tone you would be looking at Nickel Plated Steel or Stainless Round Wounds.

Can't go wrong with the standard 45-105 with a .130 or even .135 B string.
  7. zagnut

zagnut

+1000!

Love the way they sound on my RB2500 fiver! I have heard some complaints about them being rough on the fingers though. I guess it depends on how you play. But if OP has a long scale, it could be an issue. I have maybe 5mm of string past the nut. Mind you, the bass hasn't had strings on it for a few months, so I don't have them tensioned all the way yet. Mines also a string through body. I believe the MTD Kingston Heir is a 35 that isn't a string through. As long as it's not a string through, OP should be ok.
  8. logans59

logans59

It is a 35 inch scale, non string through
  9. logans59

logans59

Saw a video of someone using La Bella Black Nylon Tapewounds on Kingston 5 and it sounded great, but he was slapping and I mostly play fingerstyle. Would those be good or should I stick with a Steel or Nickel Round wound?
    \
  10. zagnut

zagnut

I've never used a nylon before. I've always wanted to try some Rotosound 88 Trubass on my P. I love the "uptight" sound. Nylons are known for this characteristic. A more muted, subtle, sound. Not sure it that's what you're after. And they won't necessarily help to prevent finger noise. A lot of that has to do with how you play.

Stainless will be "brighter", while nickel will be "warmer". Same goes for roundwound vs flats, bright vs more tame.

Forgot to post gauge for my EB cobalts - 130, 100, 80, 65, 45.
  11. logans59

logans59

I really like the tone that was on the video

I love the sound but I'm not sure if I would get the same type of result without slapping. I'm not concerned about finger noise.
  12. guypiaquadio

guypiaquadio

I've been using GHS bass boomers for years now (also infinity steels) on my tobias killer b, which is more or less the same bass. My personal favorites are the 5ML-DYB (if you wanted to search them online), which are a medium light gauge .30-.126 i believe. I get the right amount of brightness and twang that lasts. With the kingston, as well, you have a great 3 band eq to bring out what you need and stand out when you need. From what you're saying about your style i'd check out DR as well, there's no hurt in trying out a bunch of companies before you figure out the one you really love.
  13. logans59

logans59

Well, I have an older passive model so no eq on the bass, but I'm about to buy a DI with EQ so I could still bring out what I need I suppose. And I usually don't change my strings very often at all (My fender aerodyne has had the same DR HiBeams for about 4 years) partly because I just don't feel the need to, and partly because I'm a poor college student :meh: So I was hoping to nail down something I'll enjoy for a while
  14. ba$$player

ba$$player

I always recommend DR black beauties. They are nickel round core and round wound so nice middle of the road strings plus they last forever. From there you will know if you want smoother or brighter.