1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New to Bass! Help please!

Discussion in 'The Perfect Bass' started by katalyzt13, May 23, 2012.

1. katalyzt13

katalyzt13

So, first off, I’m new to TalkBass. I have played guitar for several years and just recently started really appreciating the lower frequencies that bass guitar makes accessible. I decided to purchase a bass guitar and spend some time with it, so I’ve been saving up and right now a few weeks away from ordering an Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV. I decided on the Epiphone for the neck thru, the bridge and the active electronics, as well as more shallow aesthetic reasons.

Now I’m trying to decide on an amplifier (for practice, not gigs) and a few effects. I’m mainly focused from a bass perspective on funk music (Bootsy style) and stoner rock (think Kyuss), but will be playing a fairly wide range of stuff. I need advice on a practice amp (need to spend $200 or less and not scared of used equipment), as well as some effects. I thought about the Behringer BXL900A because of the aluminum speaker cone, and while everyone generally says to say away from Behringer, the product reviews and demos for this amp aren’t that bad. Effects wise, I’ve already decided on the Source Audio Soundblox Bass Envelope Filter, but still need some help for a Limiter/Enhancer or Compressor (not absolutely certain on the difference here) as well as a good fuzz pedal for bass. I understand that a bass can run through guitar effects, but also know this oftentimes cuts out some of the lower frequency or sucks tone. Any direction or advice for amps/effects would be much appreciated.
  2. katalyzt13

katalyzt13

did I put this in the wrong area or something? Not getting any responses...
  3. carl h.

carl h.

This is for posts relating to the perfect bass - see link on top of this page.
  4. ThePerfectBass

ThePerfectBass Supporting Member

5. cenkbass

cenkbass Supporting Member