New to bass not to music

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Paistemage, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Paistemage

Paistemage

I have been a percussionist for 25 years.

I always wanted to play bass.

I am originally from Chicago, IL.

Some bass players that have always astounded me would be, in no particular order:
    Ron Carter, Steve Harris, Noel Redding, Jaco, anyone who played with Zappa, Flea, and Cliff Burton.

I am buying a bass this week and feel the best tone I ever heard was from a '65 Fender Jazz bass.

Looking forward on this new adventure and discussing music in general and more specifically bass guitar.
  2. iVivify

iVivify

Hope you got the bass you wanted. I'm new to bass and not new to music too. Mainly background and some lead vocals and played a little guitar in the past. Excited to learn bass because i love the sound.
  3. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

What you already know about music will flow right into the bass. Just need some time with our instrument. I found the book Bass Guitar for Dummies to have all the how to hold it, tune it, get sound from it and mute some of that sound, you will need right at first. The patterns in Dummies are great - and easy. http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/bass-guitar-for-dummies-cheat-sheet.html Scroll down a page.

Root on one and follow the chord progression.