1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New to building

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by kaoskater08, Nov 19, 2012.

1. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

I'm trying to construct a new bass and I want to get the "satin" finish a Fodera would have (played one the other day and it was amazing). How would I go about getting something like this?
  2. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

It all depends on how you're going about applying the finish. There are spray on and wipe on finishes on the market, each with varying degrees of sheen.
    I spent about 5 months researching different products and procedures for my first build.
  3. Hapa

Hapa

Disclosures:
    Bass Industry guy, currently a free agent
    Buy satin finish. PPG catalyzed satin urethane is the Shiznit
  4. bassictraining

bassictraining

Oh yeah, love the Fodera finish. I think Jason DeSalvo mentioned what they use in one of the club fodera threads. He said that they use a waterborn urethane lacquer now. Not sure what brand. They sand it up to 400 grit. Though 300 might do it. I think they may still lightly buff it and put some bowling alley wax on it (bwc?)

Then again I could be crazy.

They used watco danish oil on the first basses.
  5. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    We use a glossy, catalyzed acrylic lacquer...

Jason

6. bassictraining

bassictraining

Thanks for clearing that up! It is so handy to have an expert on the subject here. Glad that you are willing to share.
  7. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Yes thank you very much Jason!