New to effects...screwed

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jbd5015, Nov 7, 2013.

1. jbd5015

jbd5015 Cool cars & Bass guitars Supporting Member

Ive been dealing with bass and amp GAS for quite a couple years now, and I think ive got those two under (relative) control.

Ive been really happy with my current rig which is a 75 Ampeg V4B through a B40 with Bag End speakers loaded into it. Sounds GREAT. Playin an '09 4003 through it. Definitely have a solid tone with no effects that i can play a whole night and be happy.

Now its time to mess with it!!! Over the years i've picked up a few pedals, but never really stuck with them. After recently picking up a woolly mammoth from a TB'er, im ready to get a board assembled with the following:

Woolly Mammoth (fuzz..super awesome)
    Barber Tone Press (comp)
    Boss Bass Equalizer
    TU3

Not much a board, but the compressor and equalizer are great tone shapers. I dont feel the need to any over drive as of yet. The amp has a great grit to it as is. Next piece im getting is the Voodoo 2+.

Thoughts on getting a pedal train or just building my own board? Im a very handy guy (full time mechanic), so i can build just about anything, but are the pedal-trains that are made for the Voodoo's the best way to go for ease of use? They usually look very nice!

I feel that this is the beginning of a new GAS....

cheers!

2. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

I've gone both routes, PT and homemade. If you are going with the Voodoo power suppy, my suggestion would be to pick up a Pedatrain Jr. It's light, angled perfectly for two rows of pedals, fits the Voodoo perfectly, and because of the ability to run cables in and out and under, a great base for mixing and matching pedals and pedal order...something you'll find yourself doing a bunch while you experiment and find your pedal preferences. And the PTs come with their own case.

Once you get further down the road and have a somewhat narrower idea for what all you want, you could look at building yourself something custom. To me it wouldn't make sense to customize a board build before you knew what your ultimate needs were.

3. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I'd love to have a V4 for that grindy tone, cranked power section sound.

Unless you are planning to add oodles of pedals; I'd look into cheaper options with regards to a power supply.

The PPII+ is a really great power supply but for your current setup you could probably opt for the ISO 5 if isolated outputs is important to you. If you not you could save a lot of coin by going with a 1spot.

I think the Pedaltrain boards are super elegant and I currently use a PT-1; which is a bit overkill for my current setup. They do seem to be a bit pricey for what you get. Anything bigger than the PT-Mini is over a bill.

I've used LYT pedalboards in the past as well and they are nice.

Some guys will get Ikea Gorm Shelving units and build their pedalboards on those. Certainly nothing wrong with that.

You can always top mount your powersupply as well if space is not an issue.

Cheers and have fun!!!

4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member