New to exposed core, please help.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by wild4oldcars, Jan 17, 2014.

1. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

So i just purchased some Dean Markley Helix SS strings from BSO, which have exposed core on the E and A. When I unboxed the first set, I noticed the outer winding was starting to unwind from the "exposed core" part on both the E and the A. Is this common in exposed core strings? My immediate thought was, "Well, that can't be good." I have had a set of these strings before and had never noticed a problem, but they were installed on a string through where the exposed core part was entirely behind the bridge saddle, rendering the strings essentially standard wounds. Please help me to understand, I enjoy the tone a good bit, but if there is a fundamental problem with my strings, I may have a case for a refund/replacement. Thanks! :bassist:

In interest of full disclosure, when i opened the box, the bag that was meant to keep the strings fresh had a hole torn in it. Well, not really torn, it didn't look like a manual tear, more like the plastic got heat-shrunk somehow, resulting in a hole in the sealed package.
  2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    The box still had the factory seal shrink wrap on it though correct? We don't ship these with that broken.

I have seen in some rare cases the fine winding around the core is loose. On a thru body instrument it won't be as much of an issue since the exposed part is not on the saddle. Really not an issue not having the exposed part on the saddle, some prefer it that way

If you experience any odd buzzing from the core winding part let me know.
  3. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

That might explain the buzzing on the E I had from the last set of these I tried.
  4. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Yes, the factory shrink wrap on the box was fine. The instruments I planned on installing these on are both bridge loading though, which is the only reason i worried about it.
    The actual core is not unwinding, the outermost wind is unwinding from the core where the outermost wind stops near the bridge
  5. Toptube

Toptube

These are my current favorite strings. I'm on my third set, with a 4th still sealed in a box. No issues with the windings in three sets. Sounds like a rare defect to me.

*I've also had exposed/taper core from other brands like GHS (Progressives). Also no issues.
  6. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Went and investigated my e string, there's probably 1-2mm of one of the inner wraps coming off the core.
  7. unclebass

unclebass

Recently purchased a set of these in the nickels, and had a question about my E string. I emailed the company directly, and heard from them by the next day. They answered my question and offered a replacement E string if I wanted. If not through Jason, you can contact them directly, perhaps sending them photos of your problem. They seemed to have very good customer service dept.
  8. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    This is something I am going to bring up with them at NAMM at our meeting on Friday. I don't want to open up sealed packs to check so we will see.
  9. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    Been chatting with my contact at Dean Markley about this today. If you have purchased HELIX strings from BassStringsOnline.com and are experiencing any issues please contact me via eMail - jason @ bass strings online . com

THANKS!
  10. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

This guy. He rocks!