1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New to forum. Not new to playing. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stephensa, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Stephensa

Stephensa

Sorry to join the forum needing help right out of the box, but, things are what they are. I play an Ibanez RS530 which I love. Solid as a rock and pretty, though not flashy. Great action with Bartolini PU. Its not a fancy top of the line bass but for what I do its great. A pleasure to play. I want a second bass. Actually I have one, (an 80's Washburn ABT 10) but it really isn't up to what I do now. Mostly, its just old and I can't seem to keep the action right. Anyhoo...
    I am going to buy a second working bass. I have been looking at the Schecter Stilleto Custom. It gets good reviews, but mostly from players without a lot of experience so while I am sure they are thrilled with the bass, i'm not sure they are a good judge. I also have the chance to buy a used Jackson SPB-8. Its an older bass, (1995) but I like the Jackson brand and it has a unique look. Its also twice the price of the Schecter new. I can try the Schecter at a local store but the Jackson I am guessing on. A friend in a city too far from mine to try it owns it and swears by it, and while I trust him, mostly, to each his own. The problems I've had with the neck on my Washburn makes me leary of buying a bass I haven't played, but the Jackson name and uniqueness of that model leans me in that direction. Oh, and I play pretty much everything. Pop, Rock, Metal, Blues, Alternative, a little funk but its not really my thing so I'm not very good at it. I lean toward RUSH and Waters Floyd. Thoughts?
  2. sbass traveller

sbass traveller

Have you checked the price of the Jackson vs the Schecter, + pickups? If you're not willing to setup your own instrument then it all comes down to who you choose. Both basses are gonna be kick-butt with a proper setup, but you may or may not be happy with the provided electronics. I've had people who setup my basses great and I never touch them, others, not so much.

IMHO Go with whatever is cheapest and swap the PuPs. Even if you have to take it to a qualified repair guy it's worth it. This is an INSTRUMENT that you will be playing. It has to be what you want.
  3. JonDark

JonDark

One plus to the Schecter is on the used market they can go for pretty cheap. That + any electronic upgrades would probably come in around what it would cost new.

I may toss this at you as a thought. A step up from the custom is the studio and it's a neck through. From playing them both the studio feels more solid and fluid. I liked the custom, but the studio was a lot nicer all around. I see those used down in the $400's often on CL and in stores in my area, and with electronic upgrades your still in a budget that wont break the bank.

I can't comment on the Jackson having never played one.
  4. Stephensa

Stephensa

Thanks for the replies. I feel like the Schecter is probably a solid buy. The base EMG PU are fine and the neck is not unlike a typical mid range Ibanez. I just know NOTHING about Schecter as a brand and I know Jackson gets a lot of love. Plus the Jackson I am looking at is a fairly rare model from the 90s so that is working on my uniqueness bone. I guess the question then (since experience with this particular Jackson is rare) is what do you folks think of Schecter basses as a whole compared to Jackson, or just what do you think of the Shector basses? I realize I can always trade out electronics, but what do you think of the brands as a whole? Again, thank you for your informed replies.
  5. Stephensa

Stephensa

To JonDark, the fact that Schecters go for cheap in aftermarket is what throws me a bit. If they are great, why are they so readily available used on the cheap? I'd prefer to buy an instrument that gets more respect with age, not less. I do though realize at my price point I am sort of having to find a happy medium for all my wants. I will look into the studio. Other than being a neck through, what are the benefits over the custom? I will also add this, for anyone looking, you can get a Stilleto for $375 from Amazon right now. It is (as I said, half what I was going to pay for the Jackson) so it really has my interest. Still, I would rather spend more money on an instrument I love than less on an instrument I tolerate. So I am doing my research and getting opinions.
  6. sbass traveller

sbass traveller

You're not going to buy a bass that gets "more respect" with age in the Schecter or a Jackson. Jackson's won't appreciate in value much unless they're from the 80's or very early 90's at the moment. Schecter's a good brand but like most companies they have low and high end models with the same name, much like an MIM Fender VS an MIJ or MIA Fender. At the end of the day, Jackson and Shecter are both decent brands, and a good electronics upgrade will go a long way. Personally, I would choose the Jackson over the Schecter as it potentially has more resale value, in-case you decide to change basses later. May be a bit of a contradiction to my previous post but if you're going for the best investment, then the Jackson. If you're going for the best player, well that's for your hands to decide.
  7. Reddog01

Reddog01

I recently bought a new bass, and looked very hard at the Schecter. I ended up getting an Ibanez SR700, but I'm sure I would have liked the Schecter also. Both basses had the thin, fast necks that I prefer. Frankly, I grabbed the Ibby because I got a great buy on it.
  8. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

I have never been a big fan of how Jackson basses play. But I have only played 3 in my twenty+ years of playing so that is hardly statistically relevant.

They do look cool if you like that shreddy look. I do like Shecters. They make nice stuff.
  9. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

When I got back into playing I picked up a used Jackson JS-40, it was okay. Eventually I shipped it to a niece in California who wanted to lean to play bass.

I went through a bunch of different bass along the way, bought a Schecter C-4 XXX. Currently I own a few American Fenders and EBMM Stingray. But I've never gotten rid of the Schecter. It's a great player.

I'd go with the Schecter.
  10. bobdabilder

bobdabilder

My second bass was a schecter stiletto extreme. obviously not what you're after, but the neck was superb. action low and the frets had fall away up high. I bought it new from gc on clearance. the downside was the pickups. They were very weak. but that neck was awesome.
  11. Stephensa

Stephensa

So, I ended up buying the Jackson. I figure the Schecter is not going any where and I love the shape of the Jackson'