1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New to Mac - Garageband related

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by gustobassman, Dec 11, 2013.

1. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

***I did do a search, just looking for clarification***

I just acquired what i think is a Macbook Pro. It was given to my father and he is stuck in his PC ways, so he passed it on to me. From what i can tell, the laptop is OS X, and the Garageband is the 8 version. Some of the different instruments are available, and i can see that there is a bunch of instruments/loops/drum kits etc that i can't open up. How do i make those available? I have years of PC experience, but this is my first Mac. I'm still looking for the "control" button. :p I was hoping some TB'ers could help a guy out!

I've read the Apogee Jam is a great interface to get recording bass or guitar with Garageband. I've also been hit with updates trying to get me to update to Garageband 11. The reviews on that program have been less than stellar. Should i stick with what i have?

Thanks!
  2. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Here's a little video that quickly shows you how to get into the drum section. The very beginning shows you how to start this garage's engine…

You'll need a usb interface to plug bass, mic into.

fnord!

3. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

I have/am going through your almost exact situation. Never had a mac until I got my music gear. Got everything used, but a very sweet MacBook Pro running osx with all the learning curve. After 6 months, I'm dyslexic on a PC!
    Plug away,
    fnord!
  4. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

Thank you for asking this question Gustobassman. Now, my next question is you have a brocogo Fender Amp and you want to record with it.
  5. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the Afterparty Supporting Member

What is that supposed to mean?

Actually i was planning on running through the direct out of my STL 900. Would this be possible running an XLR-1/4" cable to the Apogee Jam? It appears the Apogee Jam IS it's own preamp. Would it be redundant to run my bass through the 900?

Cool thanks.. i'll check that out.
  6. droo46

droo46