New (to me) '99 Ampeg SVT-810EN

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by errornosignal, Apr 5, 2014.

1. errornosignal

errornosignal

Serial: ASXDL90007. I paid $380. She's a little used and abused, but nothing that can't be fixed. It's got the (pre-dark) stock 86-032-01 speakers except for one Jensen Mod 10-50. The tolex is trashed! It's obviously been redone by someone with no attention to detail. OSB, missing feet, some rusty ass/missing hardware and the angle plate at the bottom is a little loose on one side. But she's mine new and about to get a little glue, some Duratex, and an expanded metal/perforated sheet grille. Give me your thoughts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I bought a '98 with 4 ruined speakers and 4 repairable speakers and next to no tolex for $75 a while back. I put in 4 Mod10-50's but kind of regretted it. Too much midrange with the SVT-II I was using at the time. Still, good cab at a good price!
  3. errornosignal

errornosignal

I plan on getting rid of the jensen asap. Eventually, I'd like to fill it with Eminence B810s but $600 for speakers is a big one.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nah, keep the 86-032-01's and either hold out for a used one on Ebay or get one of the Chinese Eminences they use now, as they're quite similar in tone IMHO. Duratex is a great idea but forget the metal grill...get yourself some blue/silver AV grillcloth instead. Ampegs are meant to rock grillcloth.

:D
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. errornosignal

errornosignal

I've been waiting for you to chime in JimmyM. You are the master!!! I was actually planning on just trying to pick up one 86-023-01 and make some magic. I love the blue a/v grill JimmyM, but I work in a steel shop and I can get the perf at cost, shear it myself, and add my own custom touch. I swear, by the time I'm finished, it's going to be a sexy piece of art. Slotted perf
    http://www.mcnichols.com/products/perforated/slotted-hole
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    OK, I'll buy that if you powder coat it blue/silver.

:D

Actually, I think it'll look pretty good even if you don't. I'm just a grillcloth snob. Didn't used to be, but I get more so in my old age.
  8. errornosignal

errornosignal

I can totally understand. If i had my way I'd get a early 70s as I'm super into vintage bare tone. Silver/blue cloth looks beautiful, but I'm into utilitarian/durability...and that slotted can't be beat when it comes to function/fashion in a ,metal band IMO. I never realized, but those Jensens are some light/cheap ass speakers! I need some help regarding the best way to prep that OSB (especially the wiggly, angled section) before I hit it with Duratex. Should I fill it with Quickwood, Plastic Wood, Elmer's, Bondo?! I want to seal and and make it as solid as can be. I need some feedback!
  9. Flatbass

Flatbass

"Before animals I stand tall and fear nothing"

So, how does your new mantra feel? :)
  10. errornosignal

errornosignal

You know, it feels good, real good...NOT!