New (to me) Amp Day: Carvin B500 w/ a Dr. Bass Cab!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ckitz, Jan 25, 2014.

1. ckitz

ckitz

Got this at Guitar Center today for about $400. For my first giggable amp, it sounds fantastic. I know there's a lot of hate towards Dr. Bass for all the crap he did, but he sure makes some decent sounding stuff. Sorry for the crap pic, my iPod has a crap camera.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Congrats; I bet that is a good sounding rig

3. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

4. Cirk

Cirk

Nice rig. You may want to consider removing the dr bass logo. Wouldn't want to advertise for that ******* *******. If you're not familiar with him, read the sticky thread at the top of the amp section. Bring a sandwich and a drink of your choice, reading all of that will take a while.
    Marc makes nice cabs, when he feels like it. Read some good things about quality. Business practices, not so much.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Or just black out the "B" :cool:

7. Cirk

Cirk

That works.

8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I gig with a Carvin BX1200 through a pair of Dr. Bass cabs (112LF and 1260 3-way) bi-amped. Awesome rig.

9. MarkA

MarkA Registered Schmoozer. Supporting Member

Wow, had to look twice (thrice, actually) but just noticed that that's a headcase cab with the amp mounted! Not micro, but compact enough! If both amp and cab are in good working order, you did well for $400.

Question: Is that a 12" or 15" speaker in the cab? And is there a tweeter or no tweeter? Hard to tell.

I have a Markbass CMD 121P combo and a Dr. Bass 2x12 cab (bought on TB before I was aware of the whole delivery debacle). Kinda apples to oranges since the 212 is a mid-loaded/no-tweeter design with different drivers than yours, but, based on my experience with it, I'd bet your rig does better than my Markbass (and I like the little Markbass -- really hangs in a mix, especially for its size).

I've heard cabs that I like better than my Dr. Bass (got to play some Big Es and a Thunderchild -- both really impressive), but, sonically, I'd take it over any of the Ampeg, GK, Markbass, etc. cabs I've played (and I like a lot of those, too). Tight, defined, and articulate throughout its range in a mix. I wouldn't buy a new one barring some major reformation of the Doctor's business practices, but I've had good luck overall with mine.

Enjoy the rig! Hope it serves you well.

10. ckitz

ckitz

Thanks! It has a 15" speaker, and it has a tweeter. I really do like the speaker on this thing. The guy who showed me the amp swapped the Dr. Bass for a Markbass 15", and I preferred the Dr. Bass! If only he wasn't such a scumbag... :(

I think I'll keep it. Sketchy business practices aside, it was an amp made by him, and sounds pretty great.

11. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The speaker is an EV probably 15B or L so it should sound pretty darn good ;).

12. bass4worship

bass4worship Supporting Member

That EV is the bomb, got sound awesome.

13. MarkA

MarkA Registered Schmoozer. Supporting Member

Do you mean that you had a Markbass 15" cab or combo that you traded (which I'd call gig-able, depending on the specific cab and the gig), or that you checked out both in the store?

Fair enough, and you should do what you think is right. You can enjoy the combo without any guilt, certainly! I received my cab sans logo from the previous owner. Haven't felt any urge to put one on, and don't know that I'd feel the urge to rip it off in protest or anything, but, cheesy as it sounds, I wouldn't want someone to order and not receive a cab from him based on hearing mine and liking it, however unlikely that might be. When someone asks about my rig, I say the cab was custom made for the previous owner. If they ask further, I'll tell them it's a Dr. Bass, but that there have been issues with the business, etc. Not that anyone ever asks about my rig!;)

Anyway, you've got a compact rig that sounds good now and should do you well playing live. The important thing is to play it!

One other thing: Does the Carvin head have a second speaker out on the back? Would be surprised if it didn't. If you ever needed it -- and found a suitable cab -- I bet you could add an extension cab to your combo to make a stack. You'd want to check the minimum load the amp is rated for and determine whether your cab is 4 or 8 Ohms... but we're getting ahead of ourselves. Or I am, anyway!

14. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

The amp is rated 500w at 4 ohms or 2 ohms. If adding an extension, add a 115 cabinet at the same OHMage.... Avatar makes a tweeterless B115 at 8 or 4 ohms, the speaker is very good and the price is right so I would go for that.