1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New to me ATK 300 issue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by progrmr, Dec 14, 2013.

1. progrmr

progrmr

I got this ATK 300 for a song (well, $190 but you know what i mean :) ) - it's freakin' awesome.

HOWEVER - when I move the bass around, I get this insane loud popping from the amp.

The jack is TIGHT - I'm thinking that the preamp might be bumping around in there, but I've put additional foam in there to help secure it and I still get the noise..!!

Starting to make me crazy - any ideas??

2. banikek

banikek Supporting Member

Bad cord or jack would be my suspects. Change cords and see if it goes away. If not it's pretty simple to replace the jack.

3. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

4. dabbler

dabbler Supporting Member

To help isolate the cause, with your hand, wiggle the cable, then the plug, then holding the bass firmly in both hands shake and twist it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Just because the jack feels tight doesn't mean it's o.k. My money is on a bad jack. It could also be the soldier connections to the jack are poorly done.

7. progrmr

progrmr

Thanks, when I shake the bass it makes the noise with multiple cords, I guess its the jack.

Weak!! Could be worse i suppose :)

8. progrmr

progrmr

Updated - it wasn't the input jack...it was the battery - the foam on the bottom of the cover wasn't substantial enough to keep the battery in place. After I put in a new input jack and shook the bass, still had the noise. Removed the battery cover, put in more foam and now it's silent.

That should've been easier :)

9. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

Still a good ending. :)

10. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

Thanks for the update. It's always good to hear how these things worked out.