1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New to MM. Need advice on StingRay...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knavery, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Knavery

Knavery Supporting Member

Hey folks --
    I've seen several threads on this topic, but am looking for a magic answer on the topic. :) No just kidding.

Actually, I've never owned a MM Stingray, but I want one. I'm down to one bass right now, which is a killer Fender Jazz with the tug bar on the RIGHT side, which I use as a thumb rest. However, it often gets in the way when trying to slap and pop.

Originally, I was going to settle on an HH, but now I'm leaning more towards an H 4-string. I thought about the 5, but I never use the B string, and I just don't know if I'd feel comfortable popping the E with the B in the way along with narrower string spacing.

And ultimately, I've been reading about these new Classic stingrays, which look killer, but about 400-500 dollars more expensive.

I play mostly Rage Against the Machine, Primus, and Chili Pepper type stuff.

For those that play these styles of music, what Stingray do you prefer? I want to make a shortlist and see if I can find some around to play. Thanks!
  2. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

So you have it limited down to a Classic, 4H, 4HH, and possibly a 5H (or 5HH)??
    I would suggest just going to Guitar Center and seeing what they have in stock.
  3. therhodeo

therhodeo

Most of those are questions that you need to answer yourself. What works for some doesn't work for others. My suggestion is to determine your musical needs as far as range and sound go and then go out and try as many Rays as you can find with that in mind.
  4. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

I have a Awesome 5HH fo sale
  5. Knavery

Knavery Supporting Member

Well let me rephrase the question then... What do you prefer and why?
  6. sketch

sketch

H 4 string, 2 band eq
  7. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

If your looking for an aggressive bass with a punchy tone then the stingray is for you. The Double Humbucker gives you a wide variety of tomes and is really quiet with no buzz.
  8. WJGreer

WJGreer

I think the essence of a Stingray tone is in the bridge pickup, and I wouldn't bother with any of the two pickup models. A natural finish 4H Ray is a thing of beauty.

I'm OK with 5 strings but I don't like the pickguard they use on the Stingray 5. You can get away from it buying a classic, but as you say, those are a little expensive.

Final note - based solely on the Ed Friedland reviews on YouTube, I think the Sterling Ray34 models are worth a look. Much cheaper, same vibe. I would probably go that way on a new one, if I couldn't find a USA Ray used that I wanted.
  9. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    Bongo ;)

I like Stingray's, but can't justify having one in the stable. I did own a Classic 5H for a spell and enjoyed it. If I were to own another, I'd get a 5H.

For Bongo, I think the sweet setup is HS (though have yet to try a single H). For a Sterling, I think a 5HH is the best. But that's for me, and for what I do/play.
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

StingRay HS 4 string, three band would be nice but I like my two.

I personally think StingRay 5s look terrible, plus they always have sloppy Bs in my experience. I actually thought the SR4 looked terrible too, but since getting mine it has grown on me, still not my preferred look though.

Buy used OP, you will save a ton of dough with EBMM, plus EBMM is a brand you can trust buying sight unseen.
  11. ZenG

ZenG

Played a Musicman 4-string Stingray in the G/shop last week...

Price was around Cdn. $1300.

What an absolutely awesome bass.........loved it.......:smug:
  12. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

I personally like the 4 HH three band because I like boost/cut actives and I like having a control for the mids. The HH may seem tight for slapping at first but once you get used to it, it's no problem. Just have to refine your technique a little which is never really a bad thing.

The HH will give you the classic 'Ray tone with the single pup but you'll have a lot of extras at your finger tips with that extra neck humbucker.
  13. danster

danster

^^^Yes, this^^^^
  14. drTSTingray

drTSTingray

The H 2 bands or 3 bands are great but the HH gives extra dimensions - and an extra fabulous slap tone in HH mode.

You should try them all and choose.

The SR5 has a great B string also - one of the best available.
  15. JSpradBass

JSpradBass

I own a Classic 4 string and an HH 5 string. I can pretty much nail the tone of Rage's debut studio album with the Stingray Classic. Of course after that album Timmy C switched to Jazz basses. As for the Stingray 5 HH, it is extremely versatile and it has a solid B string. It pulls off the classic Stingray vibe, and can mimic a J or P. I refer to it as my Swiss Army Knife.
  16. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

I'm a long time Precision player, but I came across this '99 SR5 for a good price last Spring, and immediately starting rehearsing for a one-time 3 hour gig with it. It's a great bass, but I don't use it for everything -- although, if it were my only bass, I would.

Excellent fit and finish: I've never seen an EB StingRay that wasn't like that.

[​IMG]
  17. bobdabilder

bobdabilder

have you considered a sterling. I own a 4H sterling and a 5HH sterling. I think the neck is faster on the sterling and it's a touch lighter than the ray. I play mostly on the 5 but stay proficient on the 4. I just keep working on my slap/pop technique on the 5 until I'm happy. I like the versatility of the HH but for my ears, I can get similar tones out of the H. I would have bought a 5H but found a 5HH for less money so it won out. I used to wonder how much I would use a b string but it is awesome to start on that b string and make a run south!
  18. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I prefer single H models and I'm not a fan of the Classic series as I do not like a glossy neck. I strongly prefer the unfinished necks on the standard SR4/SR5, they are some of the best feeling necks out there IMO.

I primarily play 5ers, so my SR5's get gigged more often than my SR4 does.
  19. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I have a 1995 EBMM Stingray, it's a single humbucker model, as the didn't make the HH or HS models back then.

I'm intrigued by the HS versions which you didn't mention.
  20. Bobster

Bobster

I'm with the HS camp. That SC near the neck gives good usable tones and isn't as big an physical obstacle as with the HH.

Bob