New to Pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by keffff, Feb 11, 2013.

1. keffff

keffff

hi havent been on here that long but ive started my pedal board with what i can afford but im getting significant tone loss and im not really sure on how to remedy it

my chain goes

Bass>Hartke bass attack>big bass muff pi > BP 80

any suggestions would be helpful :)

2. Danhorse

Danhorse

Hi Keffff,

Could be a dodgy patch cable, check those first, happened to me a few times. If they are ok use one pedal at a time and see which one is sucking the most.

Choices are replacing the offending sucker with a better pedal with true bypass, or by a bypass looper which in effect takes the pedals out of the chain when not used.

I am not sure how much you know but a lot of pedal when off go through a buffer, which can degrade sound.

True bypass pedals let the signal flow relatively intact and bypass the circuitry entirely when off - this can lead to its own issues on bigger boards where the signal may lose high end over many connections, in that case a good quality buffer can be inserted to get the balance back - but you dont need to worry about that on a smaller board.

What cables are you using? I personally would use good quality ones, not the dime a dozen mutli coloured shoe lace patches.

3. keffff

keffff

Some old cables I definitely need to buy new ones what pedals would you suggest for a bypass looper ?

4. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm guessing you remove the BP80 many of your problems go away.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bludog

bludog Supporting Member

All true but, bear in mind, there are plenty of pedals out there with high quality buffers in them that are very transparent. You don't always have to look for 100% true bypass to clean up your chain. I happen to have a blend of buffered and TB in my setup, it's very transparent.

If you want to find a decent true bypass looper, there are quite a few out there in the boutique world. Take a look at: This1sMyne (T1M), Loop-Master, Nose, JHS, Keeley, etc. Some research here on TB (use the search) will help you too.

7. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

yep, just take one pedal out of the chain at a time, same with cables, and you will find the problem child.

8. keffff

keffff

maybe but it has a tuner and other effects on it so its kind of essential right now since im on a tight budget
    thanks alot that really helps! :hyper:
    haha thanks a lot man you guys are really helpful :D

9. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    Albums:
    I just meant put the BP80 in a true bypass loop. You do that and you can get rid of patch change lag, digital bypass tone loss, etc.