1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New to site and the bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JWalk79, Feb 9, 2014.

1. JWalk79

JWalk79

Hello all..I wanted to get some opinions. I am completely new to playing a Bass. My son actually convinced me to start playing. With that said I am looking for a decent bass to start off with and the lack of music stores in my area is making it a bit difficult. So I found something that appeals to me on Ebay and just wanted to know if it was a deal or not. Here is the link.(hope it works) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cort-Action-Bass-Mahogany/191060817621?_trksid=p2047675.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D389%26meid%3D4722951366982809227%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D1076%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D301092771261%26
  2. GM60466

GM60466

Look at some of the basses in the classified section here.
  3. Hues

Hues

Welcome,

It's a good looking bass...But the fact that the cover plate for the Truss rod is missing makes me feel you can do better.

Good luck.
  4. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

Welcome.

What kind of music do you like and envision playing? That would help us provide a good starting point and some models that would fit you well.
  5. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

+1 Congrats and welcome
  6. JWalk79

JWalk79

I've always been big into Classic Rock,Metal,and Punk but as I am getting older I find myself starting to enjoy some of the "softer" sides of music. Metal and Punk will always be my true love though.:D
  7. pfox14

pfox14

You can always get an inexpensive Squier at Musician's Friend and if you don't like it, you can return it. They're good that way.
  8. JWalk79

JWalk79

I did come across a squier pbass with bartolini pickups for $179. He even offered to throw in a gig bag and professionally set it up for me.
  9. bass4worship

bass4worship Supporting Member

When starting out you can buy a bass that is to cheap ( which might make you lose interest in playing ) or find a mid price bass that you can get a descent tone out of. This will make you want to practice more which will make you better. If the tone suck you'll think it you. Wish you the best bro. Never to late!
  10. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

IMHO, this is a much better deal than the Cort for $200.
  11. garp

garp

Nothing wrong with Cort as a brand, but the Squier P sounds like a better deal to me. As Hues noted, there’s no need to buy something with missing parts that you can’t play before purchasing.

It’s times like these when we New Englanders truly lament the disappearance of the Daddy’s Junky Music chain. Their stores always carried a decent selection of pre-owned bass gear at decent prices.
  12. JWalk79

JWalk79

Living on Aquidneck Island is the worst too...there are 2 music shops and 1 is a actually a piano shop.
  13. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

No worries! Everyone on here ships! Lol;)

How much would you like to spend? Do you have an amp?
  14. JWalk79

JWalk79

I'm only trying to spend a couple hundred bux to start. I don't want to put a lot of money into gear right now. Just want to get the basics and the feel for it all and then upgrade (spend more) later down the line. I do not have an amp but a friend of mine is willing to let me borrow one of his until I get my own.
  15. groove pump

groove pump

I'm across the bay in RI myself - welcome aboard.

BEST DEAL I've seen in a while is currently on the Boston Craigslist. Somebody in Methuen has two basses from U.S. Masters Design - just search "Masters". The active model is going for only $200, but the passive one is also a phenomenal deal. I have too much gear right now or else I'd consider snapping up both of these instruments.

Check it out - happy hunting!!!