New to synth bass... where do i start?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassicsax, Nov 8, 2012.

1. bassicsax

bassicsax

so im pretty new to synth bass, and by pretty new i actually mean i have no experience with it. I want to buy a pedal that can give me a wide variety of synthy sounds, and one with recallable presets would be even better. from reading on here I am leaning toward the octavius squeezer or the markbass super synth. i like the way the squeezer has a built in fuzz, as well as its flexibility and small size. on the super synth i like that it seems like it is easier to edit presets. so being new to this type of sound i am asking for any help or advice anyone could give me as to which way to go, even if it is something i havent mentioned.
  2. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

Bef pro....

try the dubstep wobbbbbbbbbbble thread.
  3. bassicsax

bassicsax

who makes that one?
  4. Dazonbass

Dazonbass

Source Audio

I also own a BEF pro and it is a great pedal of doing wobbles, but I would not say a snyth. I always wanted a Markbass super synth because they had so much to offer, but so big. I ended up going for the BSY-600 to play around with first and it was enough, so cheap that you can't go wrong but it actually sounds and tracks well; the switching problems and plastic case are a different issue I am still dealing with.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

+1 to the BSY-600 (by Behringer). Awesome little unit for less than 50 bucks and has LOTS of options. It's ABS plastic and QC isnt the best over there so get one froma store with a good return policy. I've owned mine for over 2 years with no issues and I have size 14 feet.

You could always go down the octave/fuzzfilter combo route that yields A LOT of sounds but involves lots of expermentation (aka buying selling trading) until you get it the way you wanted.

It took me about 5 years, trying A LOT of pedals before settling on 1 analog octaver (Boss OC-2 with synth mod), 8 fuzzes with 5 dedicated to fuzz, 1 thats a fuzz/filter combo, one that is my analog octaver modded for a squarewave fuzz and the BSY-600 which has the option of turning off the filter sweep for straight synth tones. I also use 3 filter including the aforementioned fuzz/filter (Terrordactyl), a foor controlled filter (Dunlop 105Q) and a WMD Super Fatman that lowpass,bandpass,hi-pass, LFO, blend and LOTS of control.

I also use the LPF on my EHX HOG as well as its pitch-shifting and freeze abilities to really add some texture,control,filtering,madness

With all of that I finally can make all the synth sounds I want.....

Also don't forget some modulation to add some movement. A detuned chorus sounds exactly like a detuned oscillator.

Other good synth units out ive tried: (warning some discontinued)
    EHX Bass Micro Synth
    Source Audio Bass Distortion
    Source Audio Bass Envelope Filter
    Chunk Systems Octavius Squeezer
    Boss VF-1
    Boss ME-50B
    Akai Deep impact
    Korg G5

all have pros/cons and its up to you to decide what unit works for you
  7. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix

I also dig the BSY-600 for decent synth tones on the cheap. IME it takes a few pedals to make good synth sounds with a lot of movement. So the BSY-600 plus some chorus or flanger pedal, get the expression pedal, also yes get an octaver (I am also in the OC-2 camp).
    The Octavius Squeezer is not the pedal for someone just gettting into synth bass. The User Interface is pretty horrible, it is a PITA to program. There are some great sounds in that pedal but it is really hard to work with.
    The MarkBass Super Synth is pretty cool. It has some great sounds, programming your own patches on the computer is easy and you can play the patch as you program it to fine tune it. 9 presets. The one thing that I never understood is why the MBSS is only saw wave, but luckily a lot can be done with that.
    If you have enough money for a new Octavius Squeezer, I would buy all of the pedals above or the MarkBass and the SA BEF Pro because the BEF Pro can do a lot of cool stuff especially with a real synth sound running nto it. The BEF Pro has a lot of features that are accesed through the "back page". Read the manual and you will be fine. the LFO control with different wave shapes is SWEET.
    Have fun on this journey.
  8. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

EH Bass Micro Synth.
    Analog tone.

Done.
  9. bassicsax

bassicsax

thanks guys, i might have to take a look at that bsy-600 for a good intro to synth bass... does anybody else have any thoughts on the super synth for a newbie to synth bass?