New to the forum question.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MattStonewall, Jan 7, 2014.

1. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

Greetings everyone,

I have read discussions in the forums from this site before and found it quite helpful; so here I am a member now.

I have a question about adding some pedals into my rig and organizing a pedalboard. Right now I'm playing a Rick 4003 through Hartke and Mesa Boogie cabs with a Hartke Head.

I like a simple bass set up but I might add more in the future. Korg tuner, SansAmp Tech 21 Bass Driver, and soon a MXR M87 compressor.

I'm currently playing in an atmospheric doom/psychedelic style band. I would like to use my boss 20xl loop station to play atmospheric samples in-between songs. The jack says use a Boss PSA Adaptor only. The specs on the adaptor say ...

IN: Ac 120V 60 Hz 9W
    Out: DC 9.6 200mA

If I get a Voodoo Lab power supply will I be able to power this pedal with it?

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Companies will always say to use their products with their other products.
    As long as the specs and plug match, use whatever you've got.

Welcome to TB.. Your band sounds interesting. Any recordings?

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Yep. If the Voodoo lab power supply you're talking about is the Pedal Power 2 Plus then you are fine. Boss PSA adapters are standard 9V power supplies.

From the PP2+ product page:

Here's the link to the page:
    http://www.voodoolab.com/pedalpower_2.htm

4. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

Sure Tangentmusic. I didn't play with on this album I just joined. I'm adding more Geezer Butler style progressive runs in some of the open spaces now. Working on a new album.
    helgamite.bandcamp.com
    Not to spam but the same label; Lost Apparitions; also put this out and I had a bit more to do with the writing process. It's in the thrash and death vein.
    bladesofmalice.bandcamp.com

I'm new to the idea of using a DC brick and it sounds really useful. Any other thought out there? I don't want to damage any pedals. I believe there was another discussion where the MarkBass Compressore had some issues using Voodoo Lab on here so I'm trying to understand where the issue might be in using the Boss 20XL.

Cheers,
    Matt

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

7. Jared Lash

I'm personally not a fan of the Dunlop Brick. It's essentially a daisy chain in a single housing. Not that there's anything wrong with that - I'd just simply rather use a cheaper Godlyke Powerall or Visual Sounds 1Spot.

The advantage that the PP2+ gives is that each power supply is isolated.

Any pedal that uses a standard Boss PSA or similar adapter will be powered with no issues with the PP2+ and generally daisy chains as well assuming no phase issues or ground loops.

The Markbass Compressore is a different story because it runs on 12 Volts and draws a relatively large amount of current (the specs say it requires 600 mA minimum) due to the fact that it uses an actual tube for the compression stage.

The RC-20XL will work with any normal power supply. With the PP2+ just use any output with the switch set to normal and one of the standard polarity (black) cables. Done.

8. Jared Lash

No problem, glad to help. Welcome to TBFX.

9. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

So here's another question related to the 20XL. I've noticed in the past actually playing through it the sound of my instrument coming out of the amp sounds fuzzy and there is a bit of noise.

That being said it could be where I have placed it in my chain previously with lack of knowledge. Since I'm only using it for atmospheric samples and not for a backing instrument track what do you think would be my best bet for playing live?

Should I just have the sound guy plug it direct into the P.A.? I do have a radial j48 active DI. Would that be any use? I also have a Rocktron "Hush" pedal that is not in use.

Or could I just have the Looper run through the Rocktron Hush if still loud and run that with a 2 into 1 box into my amp? So my bass instrument line of effects is separate from the boss and some kind of noise reduction.

If we play basement shows sometimes the P.A.'s aren't the best and my bass amp is actually louder.

10. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

If you are playing bass sample loops, you should go through your amp or split off to a separate amp. Trying to go straight to the PA sounds like a nightmare. We have enough trouble with sound guys just getting our bass to sound right :smug:

The fuzzy/noise sounds like a gain issue. I would try lowering the input gain and raising the master volume to get to unity gain (or vice versa, not sure how the XL gain staging is structured). Just to double check, you're using the Instrument input? And going from the output jack to the next pedal?

11. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

With this project right now I'm not thinking about using bass samples but that might be a future idea.

For instance on their song The Apiarist the cd recording has an intro of bees from a friends beehive while the guitarist is starting off.

Yeah bud I'm using the instrument input. Pretty simple layout with 3 inputs; instrument, mic, and aux in 1/8th . Then there's the up and down boss F5-5U selector, Reverse playback, and normal output.