New to the forum

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PhillipCarr, Mar 3, 2014.

1. PhillipCarr

PhillipCarr

Hello all. I've been playing the bass for about 14 years. I play almost exclusively at church, but not the modern worship that you might expect. More hymns (Amazing Grace, Power in the Blood, etc.), and some modern stuff, Pentecostal stuff:hyper:

My entire musical career (brass and strings) I've bought what looked cool and was the cheapest. Not a good strategy, but it was what was taught to me by my folks. My Bently 5-String fretless finally quit on me (pretty, but pretty cheap), and I'd like to get something more substantial. Not super expensive, but also not a pretty cheapy from the local pawnshop.

I've been looking at the Ibanez SR line, and like what I see. The 405 is in my price range (I want to spend about $450 - $500), but I saw a 505 (older year model) online that was blemished for about $440. Any veterans care to comment?

Also, I'd like opinions about bass guitars in this price range. I don't want to spend less than $400, but I do want the most bass for my money.

Many thanks!
  2. PhillipCarr

PhillipCarr

Forgot, my prerequisites are 5-String and Rosewood fretboard. Gotta have that B!
  3. AndyW83

AndyW83

I've played an ibanez sr755 for years and have nothing bad to say about. Great bang for the buck
  4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

best value for the money is buying used.
    Guitar Center has the 30 day return policy too, so if you don't like it, you can return it.
    You can buy any used bass from any Guitar Center store in the country and just pay about $25 to have it shipped to you.
    Example, a used SR755 goes for $475. That model won't normally be in your price range as it's $850 new, but if you buy it used, it is.

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedge...y=38&min=350&max=550&q=ibanez sr&distance=100
  5. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

Welcome to the best place on the net. Yeah, if you are liking the Ibanez basses (so do many bassists including me) then go for it. If AT ALL POSSIBLE play one first at a store to make sure you like the feel and sound at least thru an amp similar to yours----and then try to find one just like it used. Check our classifieds here. And if you get a chance, check out a Washburn Taurus 25. Check out Guitar Center first google their Used section, as said earlier here, to take advantage of the 30 day policy. Lotsa bashing on GC here at times...but they do have a coupla good points.:D

Again-welcome!:bassist:
  6. PhillipCarr

PhillipCarr

Yeah, I get disgusted every time I go to Guitar Center. I don't know why I go back. A bunch of 17 year-olds playing hooky that haven't showered in a week hanging out "shredding." But I checked their used inventory. Seems very reasonable.

There's a local Tulsa shop called Firey Bros. where I worked in high-school. They usually have a decent used selection.

Thanks for the info on the Washburn. For some reason I have brand aversion to Washburn, though. I'll still check it out. Many thanks!
  7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

That's the part I've really been noticing every time I walk into a GC. They stink like BO. It's so common that the entire store now smells like crap? Apparently...