1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New to this bass stuff

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fish and teach, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Fish and teach

Fish and teach

Let me start with an intro. I grew up playing piano. When I was 21 my right hand was partially paralyzed and I completely got out of music. Last year I started running sound for a buddies band just to help him out for a few gigs. I realized that I really love music and needed to start playing something so Shane found me a 5-string New York Pro (I paid $50 for it). I started playing in April and have practiced at least 6-8 hours a week since then. I just put some DR Black Beauties on and like them. I think my tone pot is about to go out though so I'm wondering if I should just fix that (the new strings were almost as much as I paid for the bass!) or upgrade. I have a chance at a Peavey Cirrus 5. I just wonder if I should upgrade or fix what I have.

Suggestions
  2. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Welcome. Pots arent hard to change and are cheap too. If you really want a new bass go for it. Either way I say go for it. Whatever keeps you playing music and having a good time. Others will be along to give you more info on the basses you mentioned.
  3. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

The Cirrus is a great bass. The electronic give you the abilty to do anything. Go to youtube and watch David Hungate demo a cirrus.

I have one and like it.

But if you're happy with yours beware of the Tone Jones. You can end up chasing tone for the rest of your life which distracts from playing.

Paul Mac still plays the first bass he bought. It's done right by him.
  4. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

I've never heard of the New York brand...I'm guessing that it can't be that great if you paid 50 bucks for it...it might be playable but the Cirrus is a wonderful instrument you might never want to get rid of.

Me personally, I prefer better out of the box solutions than putting money into something in an attempt to make it better. Cirrus all the way for me.
  5. Fish and teach

Fish and teach

I like my bass. I had a guy set it up for me. He said even though he had never seen a new York pro it looked liked it was well made and should last for a while. It rattles a lot though and I always like trying new things
  6. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Get the Cirrus if you can. Just research the value and don't pay too much. They are sweet basses and great bang for the buck usually. With a nice setup, You'll be playing on a new level.
  7. tastybasslines

tastybasslines I'll hump your leg Supporting Member

What does that mean? It rattles? Somthing other than the strings?
  8. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Is it possibly an amp issue? Maybe a loose tuner?
  9. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Truer words have never been spoken. This statement really could resolve 95% of the threads on TB.
  10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    There's something very cool to me about being in love w a POS bass, and keeping it as the only bass one ever has. I don't know if your bass is a POS, but I'm thinkin a $50 bass, that nobody ever heard of, that rattles, can't be top notch. :) If you really like it, fix it, stay with it. If you think you're going to eventually get something better, then go for it now becaue you can spend the next year playing a better bass, or not. If you're going to eventually pay for one anyhow, it's one year (or however long) of your life less that you'll have it if you wait.

So... my very helpful post is telling you to either fix it, or buy the peavey.

Welcome to talkbass. :bassist:
  11. MakoMan

MakoMan Supporting Member

New York Pro is about as budget instrument as one can get. I am familiar with them due to a New York Pro mandolin I once owned, which was fine to learn on, but I quickly outgrew it.
    Your bass sells new for about $140 US, which is about as cheap a 5-string as one could buy. Fine as a beginner bass, but honestly even a Squier Affinity 5-string would be HUGE upgrade for you at this point in time. Get a Cirrus and you will think you died and went to heaven.
    I would not sell your current bass, as it would make a fine party bass and a good backup to a better instrument.
  12. Fish and teach

Fish and teach

Thanks for the advice guys. If I like the Cirrus I think I'll get it. The pics the guy sent me are beautiful. I love the grain of the body and the neck through design. My only worry is the 35" neck length, but I'm gonna go play it Wednesday. Thanks for the advice. This is a great forum
  13. Buslady7803

Buslady7803

A friend has a Cirrus he loves it. Key is, upgrade to something you're comfy with the most....and can afford it hehe
  14. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

If your hands are small, then a 35" scale will suck. For comparison, mine are extremely small at 7.5" from middle finger tip to the end of my palm with the middle finger joint at 3.25", and I cannot bear a 35" and struggle on some songs with a 34".

If you want a decent 34" that won't break the bank, an Ibanez or Schecter would be a good choice. If you go used, make sure the Ibby is from Japan (serial starts with F).

Welcome to TB man
  15. BawanaRik

I went from a 32" scale to the 35 of the Cirrus and found it easier to play. The balance, neck profile etc . This is a bass designed to play.

16. BawanaRik

One more thing, the USA Cirruses tend to trade higher than the off shore models. And tend to be a better bass. Make sure you can tell the difference.

One way is the off shore tend to have string through the body mounting.
  17. Fish and teach

Fish and teach

The rattle I was talking about was several different ones. If you get aggressive with the D string the head stock has a rattle. I've tightened all the tuners as tight as I dare. There is also an intermittent rattle near one of the pick up that I haven't been able to chase down. It only happens when I'm higher on the neck playing multiple notes. The tone knob also rattles every so often when I hit D on the A string, but it's not loose. Gremlins I guess. I'm thinking the Cirrus will be the way to go. I've got big hands (size 14 wedding ring) but relatively short (think sausage links) fingers. If I get it next week I'll put some picks up.
  18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    That is a myth, that some people choose to believe, and only then does it become true for them. This kid doesn't believe that small hands will get in his way:

I have small hands, and I'm grateful that nobody ever told me it will cause me any trouble playing bass or guitar. Had they, I might have believed it. Never measured my hand from palm to tip of middle finger, but was inspired by your post. It's 7". I never had any problem playing a 35" scale.
  19. wvbass

wvbass

I agree. Like Joe, I was inspired and measured my hand. Mine is 7.5/3.25. Until VinKreepo just told me, I didn't know I had small hands.

I thought for years I didn't like 35" scale. I finally learned that I didn't like the neck profiles on any 35" scale basses I had played, and I was mistakenly blaming the scale length. I now own a few 35" scale basses that I like just fine - and a 37" Dingwall that I like even better.

Now that I know I have small hands, I am going to have to rethink my whole philosophy. I will probably have to play my Hofner more.