1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New to tube heads - need recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Precision345, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Precision345

Precision345 Supporting Member

Hi Tb,

I'm thinking of upgrading my traynor head and getting something with some tube power. I've never had any tube heads before so I was looking for some recommendations on what is affordable and good value for my money. I use a ampeg half stack if that helps any
  2. Precision345

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

What cab(s) are you planning to use?
  4. Precision345

5. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

It will be hard to beat the Traynor in your country without spending big money on an import.
  6. CL400Peavey

7. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

my friend in NY loves the traynor, go for it
  8. Alex1984

Alex1984

The YBA200 is pretty good, but the YBA300 is even better to my ears. A lot of girth and authority.
  9. MrPierre

MrPierre

Tone-wise, the Traynor, the YBA200-2 is a great amp.

But, maybe I just don't have any luck, but mine is on its second trip the the traynor repair-shop in less than 2 year. Warranty coverage and service by L&M and Traynor extremely good at least...

If I could get my money beack and invest in another amp, I would probably consider paying more for something more reliable.
  10. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

I think they should give you a new one. That one is a lemon. Shipping yba300 in flimsy packaging has caused a couple of failures Downunder but otherwise they seem very reliable.
  11. Tim1

Tim1

I would be looking at the Fender 100T or the new Ampeg v4b if it was me. If you want more than 100 watts look at the Orange ad200, Fender SB 300 or Amped SVT CL or VR. Ashdown tube beads are also getting some interest. Each of these has its own strengths and tonal qualities, I would suggest you search talkbass to get some idea of the advantages or otherwise of them, then try to listen to ones that interest you.
  12. ddhm

ddhm Supporting Member

I recommend a gym membership...or a roadie. Tube heads are almost always really heavy.
  13. Mungi

Mungi Supporting Member

With a tube head you can cancel your gym membership. You get your excercise from carrying it. Good way to safe money!
  14. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

44# for a 200W tube head is pretty nice, diggin that Traynor *but* if I had the scratch I'd be looking for a Boogie Buster head
  15. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Best value for money is to buy something used.

And if you shop for used, then:

- an old Traynor YBA-3 is a GREAT amp. They were rated at 135W (or 130W?), but that's not measured the way most amp's are rated. I think, measured the way other amps are generally measured, the YBA-3 would be more like 180W. Built like a tank and they sound great! And if you don't need that much power, I would consider a YBA-1A which are about 2/3 the power (rated at 90W vs 135) and a fair bit smaller.

- the Ampeg SVT 2 Pro is a 300W all tube rackmount amp. And they are generally priced cheaper than other Ampeg 300W models, even though they have more capabilities than any other Ampeg 300W tube head.
  16. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

personally i run a mesa boogie d180, but that's only because my girlfriend works on the same street as mesa boogie hollywood and they guaranteed me they had every part i would need to keep that thing running well into the future
  17. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah

I own a Traynor YBA200!

Love mine, it's a lightweight, loud, and great sounding tube amp. If you feel like you aren't getting enough volume, swap the one 12AX7 with a 12AU7 to get more clean headroom...I'd also look at some late distortion 6550's (I got Tung-Sols from Dougs Tubes and they are amazing) as well. This is definitely a great tube amp to start with, sounds like a baby SVT!!
  18. George Mann

George Mann

I seriously recommend that you consider using a quality tube preamp with a good SS amp.
  19. CL400Peavey

Why? Some people are not looking for a clean sounding power section.
  20. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Why do you feel the need to go to tubes?

Go into L&M and start rocking out on some amps and see what you like, tubes or not. Also, keep in mind how often you gig, I personally am pretty slow these days but at 3 AM after a long nights work I really appreciate my eight pound head in a backpack as opposed to my old SVT which weighed more than my old 6x10 it sat on top of.