New tone from cutting both J pu vol's???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by groove pump, Apr 8, 2014.

1. groove pump

groove pump

Searched a bit, but didn't find any guidance/insight on this.

I've got a parts Jazz loaded with DiMarzio Ultra J's and a simple passive layout of v/v/t knobs. Typically I'll run it with both wide open and that makes for a big, jolly semi-modern J tone.

Sometimes though, I'll shave just a little neck pu volume for more of that nasal-mid sound or occasionally cut just a little bridge pu volume to let the sound get a little more round and smooth. Subtle changes, but nice for this 'n that. Never really solo one pickup or the other.

Now I've found a wonderful sound with both volumes backed off that same slight degree - let's say 10%. Not completely nasal-toned as above, but also not somewhat boomy like it can get with both vol's (or at least the neck pu) full open. My pickups aren't jacked up terribly close to the strings, but it's as though the mild attenuations have tamped down the bolder overtones that were drowning out this other stuff.

Not a major discovery, but striking for me. It's never occurred to me that cutting some of each volume might help a new sound come out. If there's some info concerning this business or some similar experiences, I'd appreciate some input.

2. line6man

line6man

When you have both pickups at full volume, their impedances load against each other. Rolling the volumes down introduces a resistance in series with each pickup, decreasing that load.