1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New Traynor Small Block Combos introduced

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Thornton Davis, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Looks like Traynor/Yorkville Sound are introducing some new products at NAMM. In particular their new 200 watt Small Block Combos. They're also re-introduced the YBA-1 with a 2x12 vertical angled cabinet, both of which are targeted towards guitar players.

The Small Block Combos are lower power version of their recently introduced DynaBlock 400 Combos and have some nice features built-in for new players looking to practice quietly.

http://www.activebass.com/n912--Traynor-Introduces-The-Small-Block-Bass-Amp-Line-For-2013

TD
  2. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    8 ohm speaker out and matching cabs? if no, $700 for a 200 watt 1x15 i'll pass.
  3. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

That's MSRP, not the street price, which I figure will be $499
  4. Crabby

Crabby

I bought one after giving it a serious workout in the store and comparing it to the smaller versions. $499 new, the Small Block 115 is proving to be a killer little amp. Super light and has a nicer tone to my ears then the GK MB115 despite it being extremely similar. Its lighter then the GK as well but seems to have a better balanced tone. The tweeter sounds much less harsh then the GK which was a really nice touch.

I liked the 112 and 110 versions as well but with only $50 difference between each model, the 115 just seemed to be the most usable for the most applications. 200 watts is just right for a single 115 in a smaller box like this. The 112 was tighter and punchier but could not put out the low end or have the same room filling booty as the 115. Did I mention this amp is light! Feels like an empty can when you pick it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Sweet. Good to have another big name in the lightweight amp game. The more choices the better!
  6. rduval

rduval

Bought one today for $499 and used it for rehearsal in a 300 seat club. Pretty amazing for such a lightweight package. I also have a GK MB150 I bought about a month ago for $750 but haven't been really happy with it in real world applications, it gets mushy when you push it. The 115 is much better overall. I plan to get rid of the MB150 if the next few rehearsals and small gigs prove out what I found today.
  7. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS Gold Supporting Member

As Meatloaf often sang, you took the words right out of my mouth! I also had the GK MB115, but always felt I was pushing it a little harder than it wanted to pushed at when playing with a full-band.

I have used my SB115 on-stage for monitoring (always have PA support) in a band that has a loud drummer, two electric guitarists, keys and a guys who alternates between guitar and pedal steel. That band's on-stage volume is stupid loud (ego driven masochists), but I'm usually only running the amp at about 60%-65% capacity.

I do have a 800W amp head with 400W 2X10 and 1X15 cabs, but I'm quickly getting used to walking into a club just carrying my bass case in one hand, and this amp in the other. For a small club without PA support (say 100-125 capacity), I'd never hesitate to take this 200W, 31 pound wonder.

Only complaint: the "fur" covering. Everything sticks to it!!
  8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yeah, the bass combo market is growing - those look nice, except for the rat fur ~ kind of like a knock-off of the older G-K MB combos.
  9. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

I lifted a couple of these up in the store the other day, and I was amazed at how light they are! If I was in the market for an amp right now, these would be at the top of my list for that reason alone.
  10. shawshank72

shawshank72 Supporting Member

Played these at L&M and was very impressed.
    I had played the gk mb115 side by side and where i thought the gk sounded a little better the Traynor was bigger sounding and projected much better.
    I ended up getting the DNB112 with 12 inch ext cab because i wanted more power but the 115 could handle a band situation just fine i believe.
  11. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

I had a couple of Traynors back in the 70s and was always happy with the sound. I'll check out these new combos and give them another chance to sell me something.