New tubes for Mesa M-Pulse 600

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by YellowCarLuke, Feb 20, 2014.

1. YellowCarLuke

YellowCarLuke

Hey. My head needs the tubes changed. There is 12ax7s in the pre amp at the minute (the rest of the circuitry is MOSFET) but
    rather than just replace them like for like does anyone have any experience with JJs or Tung-sols in this model? I've heard Tung-sols give a bit more clarity in the low end which sounds nice as the low end through my cab sounds slightly muffled (Marshall MBC 410).

Any body have any ideas? Or a link to a comprehensive description?

2. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I like Tung Sol RI in V1 in almost all of my amps... it's a popular V1 choice, especially for guitarists who are seeking a little extra clarity. For the other preamp tubes I like to try out a mix of JJ803 and JJ83. The JJ long plate is a very cool tube. A lot of people here use (and will probably recommend) fancy NOS tubes though. I just use current production stuff.

3. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    I LOVE my Mpulse 600 .. That and my Walkabout are two of my all time FAVE amps.. I only wish that i could get a little more Clean on the input gain before it rolled over...
    I have stock Mesa 12ax7s on it now. Is there any special 12ax7 that would give me a little more clean headroom before it went into tube compression?

4. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

check/search one of the earlier Walkabout Mega Thread sections. There was a very big set of posts about tube rolling the Walkabouts.
    I recall there was lots of good info on this topic there.
    Sorry, can't remember which exact thread it was.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone