New (Used) Sadowsky Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by michricker, Dec 20, 2012.

1. michricker

michricker Supporting Member

Hi All Sadowsky experts

I just ordered a new to me used Sadowsky NYC Vintage 5

http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/stock_images/nyc/lg/4688_full_lg.jpg

Should be coming in the mail next week.

Several questions:

1). I notice this one has a 1 3/4" nut width? How does that compare to the standard width? Easy to play? nice neck fast? or to thin?

2). The fingerboard mentioned on the site is just "rosewood". Is this Indian Rosewood?

Anyone have experience with this spec or simliar spec?

Thanks much!

2. michricker

3. Ronen

Ronen

Swamp Ash body with natural finish is usually solid, not chambered. The board is very dark but I think if it was Brazilian RW it would be mentioned.
    Personally I prefer a 1.75" nut on a 5. They're more hard to find. One way or another it looks killer! Congrats.

4. michricker

Thanks! Ronen

Yeah the board to me looks dark to be Indian rosewood. I also heard roger has not used Indian rosewood in 30 years. Could it be brazillian?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ronen

Ronen

Could be, but Madagascar Rosewood can be as dark.

7. GM60466

GM60466

You are going to love this bass!

8. Wallace320

Wallace320

+1
    So it's no Pau Ferro, but strange it's no Morado, not unusual on such Sadowskies

Dunno about its weight, but I too tend to think it to be light ash more than NYC's "expected-to-be-chambered"... BTW I definitely can be wrong

Very very good bass buddy anyway
    only thing I find disappointin' (I just feel envy, don't get fooled) it's the Vintage Tone Control

Sadowsky has one of the very best, if not The Best, electronic out there, so powerful that's unbelievable how it sounds "true-to-passive"

Yet, once you disengage it, the bass, in its very passive mode, is way less excitin'.

Cheers,
    Wallace

9. Ronen

Ronen

Pau Ferro and Morado are the same.
    Morado is lighter in color than Rosewood, has more red-brown flavor and more contrast in the grain.

10. lou24d53

lou24d53

That's one beautiful bass!!

11. KJung

KJung

+1 Great spec. I like the solid ash bodies (which this one probably has due to the natural body and the half pound heavier weight than the typical NYC Vintage weight spec).

Most of the RW NYC basses tend to be Madagascar RW, although that one looks quite a bit darker than the typical 'red/brown' board, so who knows. Roger doesn't use Indian RW as far as I know.

It will sound great. To the OP, IF you find the bass just a bit scooped and a bit sizzly up top for your tastes (and you most likely won't), swap out the standard HC pickups for the Sadowsky single coils. Those pickups are more mid present, and a bit more 'grindy' than sizzly up top, moving that bass to a touch more 'traditional' in voicing.

12. michricker

Thanks guys. What do you think about the 1 3/4" nut? Compared to the standard width?

I have tried the uber light chambered sadowskys and actually prefer something around 9lbs. Especially on a five so excited to try this one.

Really curious what type of rosewood this could be for the board?

13. emart

emart Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Avatar photo courtesy of Matt Shalaby Photography
    Why don't you call the shop and ask about the fingerboard? They're great people and should have more information. Regarding the 1.75 nut, I find them to be much more comfortable to play with my smaller hands, and since I switched away from the 1 7/8 I won't go back. I find them to be fast and the transition was easy.

That's a nice looking bass, enjoy.

14. michricker

Just called sadowsky. Found out this has a brazillian rosewood board. Always wanted to try that spec out. Kevin also mentioned that a chambered bass will have a small seam. So I'll look next week.

15. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

I have two Sadowsky 5/24, one with 1.75, the other 1.87. I'm comfortable with each, but definitely prefer the 1.75. Also, I find the 5/24 neck quite different from the rest, and suspect that the benefit of the 1.75 is more significant there, then with the 5/24. Your new bass should be a blast.

16. KJung

KJung

Nice! That is quite an upgrade now. I would doubt it is chambered at that weight, but it isn't that big of a deal either way.

17. Ronen

Ronen

Now, if for some reason you find this bass horrible, too heavy, too narrow, too anything (... it could happen) you send me PM right away, ok? :D

18. michricker

Thanks for all the feedback. From the sound of it this may be the exact spec I have been looking for.

I was really considering a Fodera Emperor Standard 5 which seems like it might be similar to this spec and tone?

19. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Media:
    I have the 1.75" nut on my modern... Just curious: Is the 1.75" nut always paired with 18mm bridge spacing, or can you get it with 19mm as well?

20. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Great specs - I'm sure you're going to love it!

21. michricker

Thanks. Kind of like a non chambered actually. 9lbs is my perfect target weight. Too light and the neck dive sets in IME. I seem to like the dynamics and tone better with the solid body IME/IMO

Not sure what the bridge spacing is on this one? good question. I was assuming 19mm