1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New Vintage Undertow 500D

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jewbacca218, Feb 22, 2014.

1. jewbacca218

jewbacca218

I'm super excited about this new amp. I've been wanting a New Vintage Undertow 300 for some time now, but they just did an unofficial announcement for the 500D - a rackmountable tube/class d hybrid amp. Here's the write-up:

"Two years of R&D has finally culminated in a prototype for a rack-mounted bass amp. We redesigned the all-tube preamp of our Undertow 300 to fit inside of a 2-space rack chassis and matched it with a Class D module that is over-designed to produce the greatest sounding hybrid bass amp on the market. We are calling this model the Undertow 500D - featuring a three-tube preamp identical to our Undertow 300/160, transformer-balanced and tube-driven studio direct out, and the ability to push two 8x10 cabs with a 2-Ohm stable output that is virtually unheard of in a Class D amp. The greatest part of this amp is that it weighs in at just over 13 pounds. The Undertow 500D is the perfect solution for touring and recording musicians that aren't willing to sacrifice tone and functionality for a light-weight, road-ready amp. This piece is currently being beta-tested by Rick Burch of Jimmy Eat World in Australia for the Soundwave Festival. Be on the look-out for a more complete product announcement, information, and a preorder for the amp in the near future. Email info@newvintageamps.com with any questions regarding the Undertow 500D."

Sounds like everything aside from the module is all hand-wired. I'm anxiously awaiting some more photos and some demos of the amp. If it's even half the price of the all-tube 300, it looks like I'll be picking this up one it is released!

[​IMG]

2. jewbacca218

jewbacca218

There's a bit more info on their Facebook and Instagram pages. I'll relay any further info/clips I see.

3. jewbacca218

jewbacca218

I guess the prototype has been used for a couple of shows now. Here's a quote that Rick from Jimmy Eat World said about the Undertow 500D:

"Truly powerful. Very sensitive, especially the active mid, a tiny bit goes a long way which is rad. This amp can put out a wide range of sounds, of course I love the ripping New Vintage growl. And this amp has plenty of power to carry a big, controlled bottom end along with the rip. Huge. ... The bottom line - this amp kills!"

..I can't wait to hear more about this.

Here's a live shot that New Vintage posted as well.

[​IMG]