1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

new Warmoth build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joeyl, Feb 5, 2009.

1. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

Collected enough parts over the years to start a new Warmoth Jazz.

Body is swamp ash, with a flame maple top. Regular J style body, rear-cavity controls, weight is 4.1 lbs, it is very light. I finished it using water-based polycrylic as a base and grain filler for the swamp ash back. That was left to dry for a week, and sanded down to almost bare wood. Deft clear gloss nitrocellulose lacquer was applied, about 7 coats, no sanding between coats. The final coat was wet- sanded using Abralon pads 500, 1000, 2000 and 4000, no rubbing compound or buffing done yet in the pictures.

The rear control cavity cover will be held by neo magnets. You can see in the last picture, I used little screws in recessed cavities for the magnets to stick to (idea suggested by Wilser) This way you can raise or lower the screws to increase or decrease magnetic pull on the cover itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neck is maple/maple board. The finish is Minwax fast drying polyurethane spray. 2 coats, then sanded down with Abralon 500 grit, then a final coat was sprayed. No fine sanding or rubbing done to the neck, I like glossy necks since I have very dry hands: satin finishes are just too fast for me, and I only anchor with the thumb at the back of the neck, not the whole hand grip.
    I still need to spray one more coat on the fretboard, since I had a lot of orange peel that I had to knock down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. OpiateoftheBass

OpiateoftheBass

Very nice im going to start my project this year as well. In fact i wanted to know how a j body would look with that top and the ash core. Thanks man
  3. basswave

basswave Execuse me but your I-IV-V is in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    Thats one killer body.

What are you going to use for the rest of the parts?

Very cool...:cool:
  4. MoBeach

MoBeach Guest

Very nice looking body! I'd like to do a 5 string Warmoth jazz bass with similar wood.
  5. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

thanks guys!

For the pickups, I have an extra set of Aero Js, the only problem is that they have black covers, I am afraid it is going to clash with the nice flame of the top. I have some veneers that I may cover them with.
    All the hardware will be Hipshot chrome (Hipshot vintage bridge, ultralite tuners and string tree) and I have an Audere 4 band preamp with stack pots ready to go.
    All cavities will be shielded with black graphite paint.
    I still need to get some knobs and 2 9v battery holders for the preamp power.
    will post more pics over the next few days when I assemble the thing (finally after waiting a month for all the finishes to cure!)
  6. jsingles

jsingles

subscribed!
  7. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

oh btw the pics were taken with my recently purchased Nikon D40. As you can tell, I still suck at taking pics.
  8. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Pretty body. Also, out of interest where did you get the magnets for the control cavity from?
  9. Basshappi

Basshappi

That is a very beautiful top! Can't wait to see the finished project.

I have a (mostly) Warmoth PJ and two Warmoth necks waiting in the wings.
  10. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

That is one nice job! I've always loved the idea of doing my own finishing but my living arrangements don't allow for it - I just don't have the room. I like the idea of using magnets for the cavity cover too - very slick.Veneering the Aero's sounds like a cool idea too.

Regarding them, I just wanted to mention a conversation I had with Larry Pollack back in 2003 when I bought a set of J Type I's direct. I told him I was going to use them with a J-Retro and he actually discouraged me from doing it. He told me that they were designed to sound best as passive pickups, no preamp and he was quite clear in his description of added impedances, no true bypass etc.
    Well, I went ahead and used them with the pre anyway and they sounded....okay. I never really got behind the way they came across. So I took out the pre and never looked back. Those pickups just blossomed into what they were obviously meant to be and i wouldn't have them any other way.

Having said that, I realize a lot of folks use them with a pre and clearly seem happy. I don't know what type Aero's you have, if they've been changed or what you're looking for for that matter. This could all be just the ticket for you.

I just wanted to pass that along FYI because you mention the Audere. They weren't around when I had that conversation so it could be a hand in glove for all that. It looks like your build is off to a very nice start - good luck with it!

P.S. I have 3 Warmoths and they're easily some of the best basses I own.
  11. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

got the magnets from ebay, if you do a search for neo magnets or rare earth magnet, you will find tons of them. I got 50 of them for about 8 bucks shipped.
  12. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

Thanks for the heads up. I believe the Aeros were the ones used in the Darryl Jones Lakland, and yeah I do recall that bass being passive :meh: will see what happens! if I really do not like the sound, I may get some Nordstrands instead or commisioned some from our esteemed luthiers on this board. A preamp is a must for me because I run all my amps flat and prefer to tweak between sets on the bass itself.

The reason I went with magnets for the cover is that I don't need a screwdrive to change the batteries, and I did not want to have another compartment at the back. The cover is slightly small than the cavity, and I can fit a fingernail in between to pop it out.
  13. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

I put a Warmoth Strat together a couple of years ago that is almost identical to that. Gorgeous body, but it was pretty heavy. Looks like it's going to be a really beautiful bass.
  14. Sterling_Bass

Sterling_Bass

Looks like you have some very nice parts. Keep us posted on the progress. I'm sure this is going to turn out great.
  15. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

test fitted the parts tonight. The neck pocket and the neck fit beautifully, the neck screws were not used for these pictures. The flame effect is also very subtle when viewed at an angle, I kinda like it because it is not over the top....:)

The bridge is a Hipshot Vintage, I chose it because of low profile, simple looks and most important: quick string release.

The pickups don't look too bad with their black covers, will still try to cover them with some amboyna burl veneer I got from Ebay.

Straploks are used here, I think I messed up the rear end one, it is at a weird angle as compared to my regular Fenders. I must not have been square with the flat edge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the bad lighting, I come back home every night in the dark so no natural lighting shoots yet, and too much caffeine is making my hands shake.

Tomorrow shielding paint and tuner install
  16. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

preamp and Hipshot Ultralites

[​IMG]
  17. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

put 2 coats of shielding paint in all cavities, will do one more in 24 hrs. Not perfect yet

[​IMG]

but not too bad considering that the reading is from one pickup cavity to the other via the pickup leads channels and the control cavity. Hopefully the last coat will lower resistance further
  18. billoetjen

billoetjen

Oy, that is going to be beautiful!

Very very sweet.

Keep it coming.
  19. Surprise Panda!

Surprise Panda!

Wow!!!! This is going to turn out even better after all the parts are on.

Be sure to make sound clips ASAP!!
  20. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

thanks for the nice comments

couple of gratuitous shots of bridge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]