1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New Warmoth PJ assembly

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joeyl, Jul 16, 2010.

1. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

Just came back from vacation and had a nice package waiting for me. It is alder, paid the premium to have the lightest blank possible and it weights 4.2 pounds according to my scale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My plan is to do this a la Alleva C, pickguard but no control cover. It will be either silver flake or orange flake (Duplicolor Metal Speck)
  2. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

I got a nice light Alder P body from them back in the fall and screwed it up twice trying to paint it black with laquer.

It has the PJ set up.

I think you just motivated me to get going on it again!:bassist:

3. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

you're welcome. Third time is the charm
  4. ric3xrt

ric3xrt

should look good ,I'm more of an orange guy myself
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer Supporting Member

I'd shoot it with clear and slap a neck on it!!!! I think it looks great as it is.
  6. line6man

line6man

Looks great, There aren't enough PJ Jazz Warmoths around.:hyper:

For the love of God though, no pickguard if there is no control plate!

Those Alleva Coppolo basses with a pickguard and no control plate look bizarre. The pickguard needs to be reshaped and beveled around the control plate area.
  7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

That's a beautiful piece of alder. I'd shoot a transparent or translucent on it, but that's just me - I'm sure the flake will look awesome too. Definitely keep this thread updated with your progress !
  8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer Supporting Member

+1. I have serious issues with the A-C look.
  9. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Congrats! You must have been reading my mind on this - I just ordered a Lull M4V, P-J (reverse stagger on the P), alder, rosewood, PASSIVE!!! Should be here in 8 to 10 weeks. Let's compare notes on our finished products if you like!
  10. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

I hope so........
  11. mikeddd

mikeddd Supporting Member

That is a seriously beautiful piece of wood. Grain and figuring are both simultaneously familiar yet unique. It just gives me the warm fuzzies, man! Warmoth did a great job for you. It's your money and your bass; but FWIW I wouldn't put a PG on it. BTW: I like the pup spacing! It looks non-traditional to me. I.E. the neck and bridge pups aren't too far from each other. Should make for some great tones! Good luck!
  12. Andrew266

Andrew266

That is a pretty awesome piece, did you go through the body builder or picked it from the showcase?
  13. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

thanks. I used the body builder, not too many PJ in the showcase, and it only took 3 weeks to get to me. I already have 2 natural finish basses, and I specifically chose alder so that I would not be tempted to do it clear like with a swamp ash body :p
    I am thinking more and more than unless it is an ash body, Jazzes should be finished like a classic car, all chrome metal and glossy colors (just like Leo thought about it)

I also have a birdseye maple neck for it but I cannot take a pic yet because it is drying right now. The less I handle it the less I would be tempted to screw with it. Finishing is a game of patience.
  14. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

agreed. And I miss the punch of the P pickup in all my Jazzes so that is a good compromise, J pickups sound too wooly in the neck position, me think.
  15. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

Who needs Ash when you there's alder with grain that looks like that?!

Nice body there.
  16. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Ware y@!

How much did that body run you?
  17. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

body ran for about 260 bucks because of the rear control rout and the lightweight surcharge. All worth it!
  18. Ramsay777

Ramsay777

Looking forward to seeing the finished product man, did you get the pick-guard from Warmoth too? I was fancying taking up a project like this, but couldn't find a Jazz pick Guard with a Precision pick-up route!
  19. line6man

line6man

Yeah, Warmoth sells them.

The shape is slightly different at the bottom to accommodate the P pickup in it's traditional location without going off the edge.

[​IMG]
  20. millsbass5

millsbass5

"For the love of God though, no pickguard if there is no control plate!"-Quote

:hyper::hyper::hyper: