1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

New year (re Ampeg)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Mike in Chicago, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

I've been around here a couple years, love this site. Great guys, lots of great info.

One thing I seem to have noticed is the dramatic decline of the "bash Ampeg" threads we have seen in the past.

Should be a great fest season coming around.
  2. whitespikebass

whitespikebass

People bash Ampeg? Other than the temporary reliability issues I seem to mainly recall praise!
  3. pfox14

pfox14

Some Ampeg models do seem to get negative reviews, but for the most part, I've seen mostly positive info here. Some say their customer service is terrible, but others have had amps replaced no questions asked. I think it's a mixed bag. I am very happy with my BA-115 so far (fingers crossed).
  4. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

I should point out that most of these threads regarding Ampeg's products, more increasingly this brands value priced line, start out as the "great info" which you've referenced in the first part of your OP.
    Even if these threads start out in a negative light, they're just as if not more resourceful and informative as the positive threads that praise Ampeg.
    Remember that any info on a product whether positive of negative is good info, assuming this info is tactfully presented as a true concern for the informed consumers on this site. I don't know about others here, but as much as I like to hear good feedback, I want the bad news too.
    The threads started by a TBer who's having issue with any new piece of equipment, doesn't necessarily have to be Ampeg, gives more of an honest review than most music stores or other places on the internet. Point being that your average associate at a place like your local GC is usually not going to have the same discretion in their take on a particular product than the bass players here on TB.
    I believe that it's all the troll posts added to these threads which don''t reveal any useful info that make these threads constitute as "bash Ampeg" content.
  5. RandomBox

RandomBox

Ampegs are pretty nice for the cost.

My BA108 was okay, but rattled at half volume. My new BA115 can handle the volume being at 7 or 8 without any issues.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Glad you're enjoying your BA115, but knob placement is irrelevant to how much power you're getting out of it. The BA108 starts doing at halfway up the dial because that's the point it's no longer putting out clean wattage. Mine does it, too, and that means it's done with its 25w RMS and is getting into its peak power.
  7. shoot-r

shoot-r

IMHO, Ampeg catches the most "flak" because their the big dog on the block for bass amps/cabs.
    I'd say they have the most products in use, so the most possibility of problems, and thus catch the most flak.

Every amp manufacturer has "problem" products, and those problems NEED to be brought to light so other players can make a informed decision before they make the purchase.
    And, thanks to TalkBass those problems can now be made public.
  8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Aside from the one model of PF that had some problems, and the BGM review of the 7Pro not quite hitting it's advertised power, I've seen mostly praise for Ampeg. Most people like them. I guess there were some issues during the production move but that's kinda expected and they got those ironed out fairly quickly.

My neighbor just got a PF350, sounds great. I like the older 3Pro's, and of course, all the tube models.
  9. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

I've got three all-tube Ampeg amps. Two of them are 40 years old, and one is 23 years old. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

And I agree with Mr. Loon's post #4. Any info is helpful info.
  10. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I came close to picking up an old B25B...if it had 2 more power tubes I would have. Incredibly great tone in that thing, I just knew I'd be cranking it into dirt all the time and coming up a little bit short. Their "warm but still fairly clean" tone is a thing of beauty.