1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

New Year's Eve gigs! How did yours go?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by makaspar, Jan 1, 2013.

1. makaspar

makaspar Supporting Member

We played a massive 2 stage, four band party in a Hilton. 6 hours, 2 bands alternated hours on the same stage..

I was running sound for this show, and my new Presonus digital board crapped out on the low end during the second set (I have a feeling the other band tripped on something in the switch over), but otherwise, it was a lot of fun!

Our bass player brought his massive light show, and we kept the whole hotel up until 2am (we were in the lobby, and LOUD!)

How did yours go?
    [​IMG]

2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Sounds like a blast! I posted about my gig in another thread, but what the heck. Originals showcase gig, 5 bands. We were fourth, and went on right at midnight. We were well-received, with lots of dancing. One guy was doing interpretive dance moves with his hat. Hard to describe. But I love when people act freaky.

Our last gig was one of those shows where the audience is willing to give you some polite applause, but you can tell they're not really into it. So last night was very gratifying... and fun!

3. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

My band played a local club last night and had a blast - great dance crowd.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] (Me and the Mrs.)

4. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty Supporting Member

Just a little club downtown, but we packed the place. Club owner got up at midnight after we got through "Old Lang Syne" and said nice things about us. That was a new experience. Best crowd comment came from a young couple visiting for the weekend: "You guys make it seem real." Not sure what it meant, but it felt good.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mindwell

mindwell Supporting Member

Played the opening of the new Ambassador Luxury Hotel in Wichita, KS, with an 11-piece variety band. 400 guests at $175 each, who got *very* tipsy and appeared to have a good time. Other than the facts that a) the first set's stage mix sounded like standing in front of the Concorde, b) my DI kept getting kicked out of the snake, and c) that at midnight I played "Celebration" a half-step off, I'd say we were brilliant.

Here's a nice b/w shot.

[​IMG]

7. EricssonB

EricssonB

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Villages in FL, played a restaurant there with about 600 people. Great crowd, great show, but I could never get the volume between my upright and electric balanced since switching around a few pedals a couple weeks ago. I think I'm going back to the setup I had before.

9. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Wow. Nice Stage set up.That's one serious PA there. Where did they hide the forklift?

10. Richland123

Richland123

My band did not have a gig so I filled in with a band for a First Night alcohol free event. There were 10 bands plus solo acts at 5 venues downtown and there were big crowds at each place. The band I filled in with does originals and listening cover songs. They were very sloppy but the crowd loved it anyway. Several people said I was keeping the band together and I was just a hired hand.

11. Russell L

Russell L

Had a nice hour-and-a-half drive down toward the coast to Walterboro, SC to the Elks Lodge there. Listened to a lot of CDs on the way there and back, nice mild weather for this time of year. Not a big crowd, but they liked us. We did a good job (this was my variety band). I like this band because I get to play a lot of different styles. Weird L-shaped stage caused some head scratching, but ultimately worked out ok. I could hear myself just fine, plus I DI'd out, so the bass was solid. Had a good ride home, although I didn't get back til 3:20 a.m.

Hey, it dawned on me that when we played Auld Lang Syne that there were bands all over the place in the same time zone playing the same song all at the same time. Heh, heh.

12. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman

Played a hotel in eau Claire Wisconsin. Dueling pianos upstairs and us downstairs. $35 tickets included music, snack food and booze but only Bud Light and some weird gin cocktail??? Hotel did lousy job advertising the event. (We were hired 2 weeks before gig) plus some customers felt the "free booze" was bait and switch.
    Not a big crowd but we sounded good. Event coordinator came up to us and apologized for the lack of attendance but ook several cards because wanted us for other event so all in all good night.

13. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

[​IMG]
    I was at a local Elk's Lodge, helping the blue-haired crowd ring in the new year. Only about 1/3 made it to 12:00, no joke. Mellow gig, they LOVED us, it paid pretty well, they fed us some killer food, they bought us 3 rounds, we had to refuse even more drinks just so we could play 1/2 way sober, they tipped well, and they were surprisingly positive towards the Lady Gaga!

All in all, a really great gig!

14. KenHR

KenHR

My final gig with the cover band was last night at Pinhead Susan's in Schenectady. It went great, lots of people dancing, some very nice compliments on my playing, and we even got a bit more cash at the end of the night because it was hoppin'.

15. dnosewor

dnosewor

Our gig went well. Local bar pretty much filled to capacity. I was dying with a bad flu though. Was vomiting for most of the morning on New Year's Eve. Played the 3rd set with a bad case of the shakes. Been in bed all day today. Still haven't eaten. But as they say, the show must go on.

16. makaspar

Holy crap! That's dedication..

17. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

Nah... he's just preparing for when he hits real rock stardom and can't find a new dealer in whatever town they're playing at! Same problems, lots of vomiting, shakes, in bed all day and not eating... Sounds like Van Halen or Ozzy Osborne back in the day!

18. oboylebass

oboylebass

The soul of a warrior...this is what drives us day in & day out. Brovo brother. Hope you feel better soon.

My gig went well. My SVT decided to play games and not work during soundcheck causing distress, but luckily the guitarist/singer's house was only 10 min away so I ran there and grabbed his GK 700RB head (ain't no SVT, but not a bad rig at all). Pay was slightly under what I like to get for working New Year's Eve, but places are tightening their belts. Got a full nice free dinner though. Home and in bed by 3am.

19. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Supporting Member

Two bands in two different rooms. We did very well. We ended the night and had several hundred people pressed up against the stage. My wife (who rarely drinks) got hammered and she was FUNNY! Of course that left me with two young kids until about noon today, but what the heck. It was a blast!

My Mesa Walkabout Scout 15" and matching ext cab was KILLING it. The other bass player just stood beside it during his breaks listening to how good it sounded. Drummer was on. Pocket was huge. Singer KILLED. Just a great night.

20. Doug R

Doug R

Small Eagles Club in North Idaho. About 60 people.
    Played 8:00-12:00 with midnight breakfast after.
    Nice folks, decent pay, 2 encores (50s style rockabilly), got booked back for February.
    Only problem with the place is they still have smoking inside, so it stinks and is hard on the lungs & voice, plus my shirt smells the next day. Idaho is in kind of a time warp, I guess - haven't had to put up with that in Washington state for a while.

21. makaspar

Ha!! He drive his crane in through the front door, parked it by the pool ;-)

It was great! The best part about a massive PA is that you don't have to push it hard. The other band is strictly e-drums and PODs, so they had no stage noise - we're pretty much the opposite...
    Of note - no reverb needed in a giant hotel lobby.

Glad to hear that everyone's gigs went well! One more shot from the drums..
    [​IMG]