New York Bass Works (NYBW) Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seang15, May 8, 2012.

1. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

Hi y'all,

I searched and searched, but couldn't find an NYBW Club!

Perhaps I should go ahead and form this club now? Could I actually be Club member #1? :hyper:

NYBW players...UNITE! Please let me know who's out there! Let's start some numbering!

ALSO: If you already have a club, please let me know!!

Sean
  2. seang15

A big NY bump faggeddaboudit!!
  3. seang15

Monday morning bump! I guess next I will officially start the club, and advertise it on the Facebook NYBW page, as I am not getting much play here :) then hopefully, I will have some candidates for numbers. Thanks!
  4. sps500

sps500

I would love to join this club Bump! I emailed Dave a couple of times last year and he seemed really accommodating and very pleasant!

Would love to join the club....one day! :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CDweller

CDweller Supporting Member

Not sure when I'll be able to join. Dave has told me that my two Cremona sixes (one fretted, one fretless) have all their glue ups completed. I kind of don't pay too much attention; when they're built, they're done. Untill then, I have no concern- Dave builds amazing instruments.
  7. Spencer!

Spencer! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Stompbox designer/builder for 3Leaf Audio & Darkglass Electronics
    Dave is a master. Here's a jazz bass he finished for me last week, and my main P bass. Both took quite a while (mostly because of the nitro finish), but they're so totally worth it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. seang15

Wow Spencer, they look great! That looks like a NYBW neck on the P bass, no? And what kind of electronics in the J?

Congrats on the basses! Dave is the man.

Sean
  9. seang15

Congrats on the two basses, in advance! Not to besmirch another local luthier west of Dave, but those two amazing instruments cost about the price of one in similar quality elsewhere. Looking forward to seeing pics!!
  10. seang15

FWIW, my Deep Jazz Six fretless was purchased second hand from my friend Mike Frost. It's oil on alder, natural finish. Love it!

Looking forward to you joining the club!
  11. Spencer!

Spencer! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Stompbox designer/builder for 3Leaf Audio & Darkglass Electronics
    The neck on the P bass is actually an Allparts neck, but it doesn't feel like one once Dave works his magic on it. He completely reshaped it, re-radiused and re-fretted it. He also put his special recipe of vintage dots in it.

The jazz bass has Aguilar pickups/preamp in it. I'm loving the pickups - the OBP-3 is just in there until I design my own preamp.
  12. CDweller

The Allparts necks are possibly the best Fender-style necks available. The wood is from the Pacific Northwest, and in my somewhat extensive experience (I have three basses from John K with Allparts necks, and have used and rejected necks from Warmoth and USAGuitars), the Allparts necks are top shelf, and the best of that style available. They're also, I believe, the only one-peice maple necks available (all of my John Kallas basses have solid maple necks). Dave is, of course, a devout rosewood fretboard guy, though I imagine he'd build a solid maple-necked bass if asked. I can easily imagine that after Dave puts his magic into the necks that they'd be spectacular.

BTW- I had to look twice at the necks. The patina of the fretwork and especially the dot markers is incredibly evocative of pre-CBS Fenders. Dave has an amazing collection of pre CBS Jazz basses, and clearly he worked hard at getting the dot markers on yours to reflect that era.
  13. CDweller

I know I'm going to get two wonderful basses. I've played both of George Panos' NYBW basses, and they are AMAZING. I've noticed that the really good players' basses seem to play easier, and George is a great, great player. I've also played Jeff Berlin's basses, and they too play like butter- I think good players impart something into their basses that make them easy to play. I'd imagine Mike Frost's two Roi's also play like butter- partly because of their innate quality, and partly because of Mike putting something into the basses.

Foderas are great, don't get me wrong, and I don't begrudge them their prices. They're running a pretty cool operation in Brooklyn, and helping their employees live successful lives with health benefits and 401 k's, and Foderas are great! More power to them. There's plenty of room for all. As for me, I like the NYBW basses, and consider them not only wonderful musical instruments, but also heirlooms for my descendants.

How about a picture of that Deep Jazz?
  14. jsbarber

jsbarber Supporting Member

I have a NYBW bass on order, as well. It should be going to finishing soon... You have to be patient with David, as he does everything but the finishing himself.

Mine will be a 6-string Cremona - Alder/Rosewood JJ with an OBP-3. David is using his custom designed humbucking voiced-to-sound-like-single-coil pickups. I visited him last year and played a bunch of his basses, both vintage Fenders and some NYBW instruments. The NYBW basses are outstanding. I chose the sunburst finish because it will tonally replicate the best of the pre-CBS jazz basses, but will be much more responsive due to design (3-piece neck, graphite rods, etc.)

Tom - where are you? Show us your two sixers!!!

Jim

BTW, David will do a Maple FB, or ebony or other woods. Whatever you want, as long as the wood is available...
  15. slombovia

slombovia Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I enjoy languages, the out of doors, and geneology/family history
    Hi there, all. I didn't know about this thread. I'll get some pix soon. Heck, I'll probably find them in other threads before I find them on my dang computer. I'[ll look around and check in.

Tom Halversen

Thanks for the heads up, Jim.
  16. slombovia

Disclosures:
    ah, here's a couple of new ones

Attached Files:

17. slombovia

Disclosures:
    more conventional shots
    sry the pix aren't better - these have been converted way too many times
    but i LOVE thes instruments :hyper:

Attached Files:

18. slombovia

Disclosures:
  19. seang15

20. seang15

Greetings! Wow, didn't realize you were on the Fodera thread, as well, until I noticed quite a bit of what you typed here, Jason had stated in that thread. I was like "huh!?" :confused: and then I saw some of your posts on that respective thread. Cool, welcome to the NYBW thread!! HA! :hyper:

Funny, seems we have been walking a very similar path for much of our bass lives! Mike Frost was my instructor from about late 1986 until perhaps early 1988. (Jerry Jemmott was my "coach" from 1985 until 1986!) Most of my formal training happened by my 18th birthday. And dang, if I didn't have some great teachers, eh?

I often played in a "Collective" of jazz musicians aptly called the Fusion Collective, led by Rich Rivkin, up on Long Island. I have since moved to North Carolina (in 2008). Rich gave me the blessing to start my own collective here, fittingly called "Fusion Collective South." We have done ~100 gigs (and counting) under that moniker, since about mid 2009. Including myself, it has featured (3) former Fusion Collective "North" musicians! The other two are John Helhoski on bass (since moved to SC), and Rich Guadagnini on drums (our very first drummer). (Note: Helhoski and I formed a trio, dubbed "Root 66." It featured (2) 6-string bass players and a drummer. It was most certainly modeled after Mike's (And Chuck Alder's) trio, "The Deep." John of course was part of the spin-off of that trio, which I forget the name. And we hopefully did some honor to those trios, by continuing the trend here in the Triangle area of NC. Funny, the second group I modeled after a LI-based one!)

The only time I met George Panos, was during one of the Jazz Collective (North) gigs. We were playing a dive in Farmingdale, and a guy was shooting pool with his wife, and he kept looking up at me on the stage. Like, constantly. After the gig, he came up to me, and introduced me (yes, he was George). He graciously commended me on my playing, and loved the bass. He said something like, "Wow, that looks and sounds exactly like a New York Bass Works! Is it?" I was thrilled to say yes, and we of course got to talking. He told me I should come to a jam in the city, that often attracted members of Letterman's band, amongst others...and I never did get to that jam. I was working in Manhattan until just prior to that, and It killed me that I couldn't get out there, at least not as feasibly as I had been.

And yes, Roi's basses are great, too!! More power to him...he makes them for about ~4 grand, and he does all the electronics himself...very exotic woods, etc.

BTW, attached is a photo of me at Wooten Woods inaugural camp, back in April 2009. Pictured is some guy named Steve :)

Attached Files:

21. seang15

Great to see you here!! Welcome!! :) :bassist: