1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

"NEW" Zon TJ6H

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson' started by Todd Johnson, May 10, 2012.

1. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Hi Friends,

Well, here's a couple of photos of my new Zon TJ6H bass.

- 32 in scale, set neck

- Body is guanacoste with a myrtlewood top : 8.5 lbs

- new improved cutaway for access to upper notes

- Radiused Bartolini pickups w/ AGUILAR preamp!!!!! Sweepable mid knob

- Hip shot bridge

That's the basics......I'm sure there will be plenty of questions about this bass.

I can tell you this thing is a DREAM to play.
    It balances at 2 o'clock.
    The "B" string is AWESOME (.135) REALLY, REALLY AWESOME!!!!
    The "C" string is incredibly warm...

I played on a gig last Friday through my 2 Aguilar 1x12's w/a Tone Hammer 500 and it was simply BRUTAL!!!! JUST KILLIN'!!! (at least for what I like!)

So, there she is.....enjoy!!!

Attached Files:

2. cheapimitation

cheapimitation

Thanks for posting that, Todd. Do you have any plans to use an E to F tuning at times? Also,is the bridge string spacing the same as your other bass, and do you feel that whatever it is, it is the most comfortable and playable for you? And, about that cutaway... when you're way up there, do you usually keep your thumb on the back of the neck, or do you sometimes switch to an upright-like thumb position?

3. winston

winston

So how does it balance the rest of the day? :bag:

That's an incredible-looking instrument, it's fun to see how your ideal design has changed over time. How does the 32" scale affect tone? I imagine it makes for less stretching, which would be useful for your chord-melody playing.

4. Joelmeyer

Joelmeyer

WOW!!! I want two of them!! Nice Mr. Johnson.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. robwren

robwren

The "H" in TJ-6H stands for "hotness". This thing kills!!!

7. TapyTap

TapyTap

What are all of the string gauges on this new bass? What brand/type strings are they?

How do you like the string tension/feel on the 32" scale?

What do you think about the Hipshot Headless System...pros and cons?

Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm glad to know that you finally received your new bass! Enjoy it.

8. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

I'm planning on having Joe make me another one and I'll leave it strung E to F. You bet!!!

The String spacing is a "hair" wider, but not much....sorry, I'll have to ask Joe what the numbers are. Its quite comfortable right off the bat....

The bass is ideal for me and the way I play....I suspect it will work a lot of other players too.

Thanks!!

Cutaway....my thumb depends on what I'm doing....FWIW I try to keep it behind the neck as much as is "practical".

9. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

The 32 inch scale is ideal for me. The B string is a .135 and it is marvelous....plenty of tension for me. Sounds GREAT!!!

Thanks Winston!!

10. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

String gauges are .135 .105 .85 .65 .45 .30 They're Zon strings...I'm very happy with them. (FWIW, we're having 32 inch scale strings made, so they'll be available down the road!!!)

The tension is awesome....like I said, the B string is tight and punchy....the G and C string are warmer than the 34 in scale bass. I LOVE it!!!! It's exactly what I thought it would be!!!

This is definitely a dream come true bass for me. It will allow me to play for a long time.....make it easier on my hands, back, neck etc. There's a lot of wear and tear after 34 years of chasing these things around the stage and practice room!! :)

Thanks!!!

11. TapyTap

TapyTap

Are the Zon strings you're using stainless steel or nickle wounds?

That is cool that Zon will be making strings available specifically for the 32" scale. Will these be double-ball or single-ball strings?

What do you think about tuning at the bridge compared to the nut end?

Todd, this is really good to hear. I'm very exited for you. Please feel free to post some videos with the new bass!

PS: I'm really looking forward to your future E-F tuned Zon...talk about fun with chords!

12. AJ Brown

AJ Brown Supporting Member

Awesome Todd, congrats! I see one in my future.

13. Angus

Angus Gold Supporting Member

Congrats, Todd. Enjoy it!!

Joe (proudly) sent me these a few weeks back in the midst of an email conversation:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. Angus

And details...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. anezthes

anezthes

16. TapyTap

TapyTap

Angus...thanks for the great pictures of TJ's new bass!

17. rms2

rms2 Supporting Member

Congratulations Todd! Beautiful bass. I sure look forward to seeing and hearing you play this beauty.

And Joe, if you read this, nice work!! I sure hope this is something you will build more of because I want one. According to Todd's comments this design solves a number of problems I have had with basses over the years including weight, neck dive, clarity of both the low strings and the C string, the need for narrow string spacing for chordal playing, the radiused pickups and ramps, and more. My back, shoulders, neck, hands, and ears need you to build more of these, and soon!

18. Angus

So order one then! I'm sure he'd be happy to build more.

19. rms2

rms2 Supporting Member

Talked to him yesterday Angus, thanks. Hopefully we can get a few more people to sign up so he will find the challenges presented by this design worth the production effort.

20. Sacha Lévesque

Sacha Lévesque

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, EMG Pickups and Schroeder Cabinets
    Congrats Todd! This bass is a real piece of art.

It would be great if you could put up a short demo video so that we can hear what it sounds like!

21. sixway

sixway Supporting Member

Very nice! I've always been interested in a 32" 5-string... and headless too! Very cool....

Just have one suggestion... time to take the plastic off the control cover! (tacky.....) Don't want that to detract from a beautiful bass!:smug:

P.S..... would love to hear a sound clip or two from your bass!