Newbie Buying ~$400 Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skypn, Feb 10, 2011.

1. skypn

skypn

Hey Gang,
    I haven't played bass in ~20 years last Nov '10. I bought a used Fender Squier Aff w/amp for $150, only to find out the truss rod is messed up:rolleyes: (blues crying mode off)

I'll be buying a new bass, with ~$400, and I am trying to find a short list of names to look at and try. So far I know I want to try out some Fender Classic Vibes. In fact, if I buy a Fender Squier, it will be either a Vibe, or Vint.

What other names and models do you suggest I try in that price range?

My Brother and I are reuniting after 25 years (Bra is a drummer), and he wants to play mostly '50 to '70 dance rock ( I just want to jam with big bro:bassist:)

I got burned once on buying used, I kinda don't want to repeat that experience buying new.
    TIA (thanks in advance)
  2. PSPookie

PSPookie

I highly recommend the G&L Tribute line. See if you can score a used one from a reputable TBer. IMO, best bang for your buck in that price range.

MTD Kingstons are also great.
  3. BassEyeDoc

BassEyeDoc

Check out the Peavey Grind, love mine for tone and playability. I've put flats on mine and really like the tone.

JW
  4. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Give Me Chocolate! Gold Supporting Member

Ibanez ATK-Great looks,playability and sound. Check out our ATK club and feel the love!:D
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. klejst

klejst

If you wish to stick with the Fender brand I would say if you keep a eye out you can find MIM Fender basses for under $400 and obviously used basses will be cheaper yet. Just make sure if possible you check them out first to avoid another disappointment. Other than that I would highly suggest the Squier VM basses, the one's released nowadays are really quality basses and sound great from what I am told.
  7. Dega60

Dega60

You might check out the "Sterling by Musicman" line - you can get those around $400 and the ones I played in the store sounded and played pretty nice.

Other than that, I'm a Fender guy and I'd say go with the MIM Fender myself. My MIM Jazz 5 string is absolutely astounding in how it plays and sounds
  8. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

Yamaha BB414/614 series are great in this range as well.
  9. lonote

lonote

I highly recommend the Squier CV series basses; I have the 50's P-Bass. I have played the other the basses in the CV series and liked them all. Great bang for the buck for ~$300 brand new.
  10. thesilence

thesilence

Squier CV's and the Peavey Grind's are pretty nice for their price
  11. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

Exactly the one I was going to recommend!
  12. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member Supporting Member

+1 on both Squier Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified series.
  13. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

+1 on the G&L Tribute line. You may be able to score an L-2000 around $400, but an L-2500 is going to run you closer to $500.
  14. PSPookie

PSPookie

Another good choice. If you blindfolded me and handed me a Sterling by Musicman and a "real" Stingray, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
  15. Starflyer59

Starflyer59

+1 for the grind, cv and vm basses. How about an ibanez soundgear? New or used fits your budget?
  16. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    There's a G&L Tribute SB-2 that's blue w/ maple for $400 on here. That would be an amazing bass for the price. New check out Ibanez GSR/SR, Squier VM's, anything and everything that looks like a bass in your local store. Or you could always just replace the neck on what you have now. People are always selling necks on here.
  17. birdman14

birdman14

+2 for the VM basses, I love look and feel of the Jaguar the most. Also check out the Epiphone Thunderbird IV and Pro IV, or an ESP LTD B-4E.
  18. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Also check out the Squier VM '77 Jazz. Black on black with maple and pearloid inlays looks nice. Always try before you buy. Need to be sure you pick a "good" one
  19. BigOldHarry

BigOldHarry

buy used. Never buy an inexpensive bass used - you're throwing your money away.
  20. bassclef216

bassclef216

I'd suggest the Squier Vintage Modified 70's jazz. Originally only came in natural with the a maple fretboard and block inlays. Not my favorite look. Now though, it can be purchased in a sunburst with a rosewood fretboard or at Musicians friend and GC you can get it in sunburst with the maple fretboard and block inlays. They come with the Duncan Design pups that sound great. I like them better than the MIM Fenders. $299 for the bass, which leaves you extra $$$'s for a nicer amp or other accessories. For what it sounds like you are doing this bass would definitely suit you. I was going to get one myself until I got a killer deal on a Hwy 1 jazz a couple months ago.
  21. Zoa

Zoa

Going new in that price range, a G&L tribute or a Yamaha BB will blow everything else out of the water. Squier's latest offerings (VM or CV) have been oustripping the Fenders, and I would recommend them over the MIMs. MM Sterling is also great, and Peavey is solid. IMHPO, Ibanez, shmibanez. Unless you're going for a sterile trebly modern type tone.