1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Newbie Jack wiring question re: P/J output

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by inframan, Apr 6, 2014.

1. inframan

inframan

I recently got a Squier Standard PJ without the output jack. I found one that's a close enough fit but I can't find a diagram that matches what I'm seeing on the bass.

Here's what I'm seeing, a yellow wire, a red and white that have been soldered together and the bare wire from the sleeve. All the diagrams I've found for PJ and Jazz basses show two wires, do I run the 3 colored ones together?

thanks for any input (no pun intended):eyebrow:

2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Have the electronics been changed? Has a pre-amp with battery been added?

3. inframan

inframan

Just popped the hood, looks stock. Red comes from the rear pot, yellow the middle, white from the front. All three of these are in the same sleeve which has the bare wire.

4. mech

mech

If the yellow, red and white wires are connected to terminals on the pots, they should be soldered together on the tip terminal (+) and the bare wire soldered to the sleeve terminal (-).

Someone may have replaced the single wires with a section of shielded cable to try to reduce hum or RF interference.

If you can post a pic it will help to make sure although it won't damage the instrument to wire it this way to try it.

mech

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. inframan

inframan

Yes the 3 single wires run trough a shielded sleeve. Thanks for the help, this all makes sense now, sometimes I just need to write it all down and ponder it for a bit. :meh: