Newbie needs advice on multi effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by shaginwagin, Dec 14, 2012.

1. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Hello effects gurus! I would appreciate some input...

I have a hankering for a new toy. I've only ever used a DOD grunge pedal a few times years ago, so I'm a total noob when it comes to multi effects units.

This toy will never see a stage. Won't be used for professional recordings. Won't be used in a band setting (more than likely).

It will be used at home, mostly, for my own enjoyment. Having fun, goofing around with different sounds, distortion and stuff. And possibly later, to be used for making backing tracks for my nephews amateur motocross videos, dubstep type stuff. So a looper will be necessary.

I'd like do end up with something that can "do it all" just fine. I don't have a need for amp and cab sims, I like the way my rig sounds. I would like something with an expression pedal, mainly cause I think you would need it for synth tones. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's the kicker, I'm not wanting to spend more than about 200 bucks. I'm ok with buying used.

I have been looking at the Zoom b3, Boss gt6b, and the Digitech BP stuff. The Digitech stuff looks cheaply made to me. I'm not hard on my stuff but the tougher the better I guess.

I'm hoping you guys could point me in the right direction about which units will do the things I'm interested in, and which ones to stay away from. Although I'm sure most are of a decent quality.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice. :bassist:

2. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Soooo.... Maybe my questions are a little too general?

I'm looking for a multi effect unit that...
    1) has an abundance of effects to play with.
    2) has an expression pedal.
    3) has a looper.
    4) can switch between different sounds easily (mid song).
    5) can be used for recording to my computer.

The only unit that comes close is the Digitech BP355. The looper is a short 20 seconds. That seems really short, I've never used one though.

Please!?! I'm getting tired of googling every unit and sorting through the info. It's getting really confusing!

Thanks!

3. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    Zoom B3 is the newest technology of the multis you mentioned, and as far as I can tell has become the most well regarded floor multi on this forum. Of your options listed, the B3 is the only one I would consider buying.

4. John Bigboote

John Bigboote

Zoom b9.1ut. The looper is also very short, but I never use it, and have never understood the need for a long loop.

-jb

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

The b3 is on my radar but has no expression pedal. It seems as if the pedal for it is discontinued. And if I found one it adds to the cost of the setup. The b3 would be a smart choice cause a lot of people here use it and I could get help almost anytime... * Sigh * this decision is harder than I thought it was gonna be.

7. willsellout

willsellout

I owned the BP355 for a short period. Soundwise, it was much more to my liking than my B3, but the B3 is built better and easier to use. The BP355 was a bit more wild whereas the B3 is middle of the road. The looper on the BP355 was a bit glitchy once you had a couple loops running. The reason why I don't own it anymore is because after setting a bunch of patches, it decided to freeze and reset itself. The B3 has performed flawlessly, and while I can't get near the amount of cool sounds out of it, it is the better unit overall. The only things that really suck are the synths and octaves.

8. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

I'm checking it out , thanks for the recommendation. It LOOKS bad ass!

9. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

I don't use distortions on the regular. So this unit would be mainly for making crazy sounds and stuff. So that's what keeps me looking for a better option when I hear that the synths and octaves "suck"...

10. willsellout

willsellout

Yeah the BP355 has some sweet octaves and the pedal does some really cool whammy stuff. Synths are much better and there are a lot more far out sounds available on the BP355. If you are looking for crazy sounds, the zoom isn't your best option.

Another unit, that is discontinued now, is the Korg AX3000B. That had some really great sounds in it and can be found used for much less than 200.00.

11. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Check out my Zoom B3 page in my signature. I just recorded a long demo track running through all of my custom synth tones I've created thus far. I don't think I'd say they suck, but everyone has a different ear. And of course there's a billion different real hard/softsynth tones out there that are clearly "better" but those are real synths not a cheap little DSP box.

12. willsellout

willsellout

I listened to them earlier, and a couple of those are better than anything I've been able to coax out of it. For me though, the B3 has it's weakness in the octaves and synth tones. And since he wants to get more crazy type tones, I'd steer him clear of this pedal. It's very middle of the road, IMO.

13. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Thanks for the help guys!

Gastric, I checked out the sound clips in the signature link. Pretty cool. Would the synthe be any more impressive if they were being used with a expression pedal? Just wondering if that would be worth trying out.

Willsellout, you are right the synths aren't super impressive. Pretty cool though, still.

Is there a way to stack a fuzz or distortion on top of the synths on the B3? Seems like it would give you more bite, and maybe a compressor to smooth things out. That's kind of the sounds I think I'm going for. There aren't a lot of sound clips out there for these multi effects units. At least not crazy, of the wall stuff. Not surprising though, the vast majority of bassists don't go there. No reason to I guess.

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

The expression pedal for the B3 is the Zoom FP-02, it isn't discontinued in any way.

15. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Hmmm, I cant seem to find one available for sale anywhere... :eyebrow:

You know where i can buy one??? The interface on the Zoom B3 seems easier to use and set up. The B3 has a more loyal following so Im kinda leaning that direction. I watched a bunch of Youtube videos last night and i think for an inexperienced fx user like myself it (B3) will get me started on the right foot. Plus its red ;). The expression pedal is something i really want though, and if i cant have it, it might be a deal breaker...

Maybe theres another brand that will work with the Zoom B3??? :confused:

16. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Man!!! The guitards can get a G3X from Zoom that has a exp. pedal built in! Damn...

17. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
    I google Zoom FP02 and I get a bunch of sellers, starting with American Musical and zZounds.

18. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Dude...

Nobody has them in stock, did the same thing... I guess I need to call and find out if I can order it and how long it will take.

19. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

Media:
  20. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

^^^ Damn! Thanks! You're the man!

I guess I'm gonna ask Santa for the B3. And a exp. to match.

Thanks for the help guys!