Newbie question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PhillipCarr, Mar 7, 2014.

1. PhillipCarr

PhillipCarr

So I've actually been playing for about 14 years, but I've never been "on the scene." Since I've been shopping for a bass, I've noticed that a lot of them have individual bridges for each string now. What's the purpose? Individual tones for each string? How do you get the different tones, and in what cases would you need different tones?

Thanks!!

Phillip :help:

2. EricssonB

EricssonB

Strokes; folks.

Design; control.

Maybe aesthetics.

3. Lownote38

Lownote38

I've seen no advantage to those individual string bridges other than being able to get custom string spacing. I guess they look pretty cool as well.

4. EricssonB

EricssonB

How about multi-scale?

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Ibanez uses the mono-rail bridge in a lot of their newer SR models. They claim that it "allows each string to vibrate fully with no interference from the other strings". Vibration move through all parts of the instrument, so I don't buy that, but that's their argument. IMHO they look nice.

7. Hapa

Hapa

Bass manufacturers: that use CNC for hole placement, or luthiers that use jigs, to utilize multiple string spacings while only buying one part, not different bridges for different basses.

In the scheme of things not many companies use them like that. Ibanez has a great distribution system so we see a lot of them advertised, Yamaha has had them on the Nathan east model for a while, and Dingwall but they have there own bridges made for them that are completely movable but mount to a plate. It sounds different than a traditional or modern high mass bridge...to each their own. I have read the same marketing copy talking about strings vibrating more independently... I can not sign off on that but I could be wrong.

8. SemiDriven

SemiDriven Supporting Member

That's gorgeous! :cool:

Sorry for the thread digression! Carry on. :bassist:

9. Blankandson

Blankandson

Does the bridge on the B go off the body about 1/2 inch? It looks like it's just poking out. Like it wasn't the bridge intended for that body. Is that what's going on. Other than that, it's a really beautiful instrument.