Newbie saying hello...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LongtimeLurker, Aug 15, 2013.

1. LongtimeLurker

LongtimeLurker

Hi-- first post.
    Been lurking for years though. This is my #1 place to read up on bass equipment, so many thanks for that. Hope to be contributing much more as time goes on.
    That being said, I hope this post isn't frowned on here as a first post... just looking for some quick advice without the BS bashing that people often do.

Sadly, I have a current situation that is forcing me to offer up my Pedulla Thunderbolt 5-string. Got it up in the SoCal craigs ads, now just want to reach out to some more serious bass players.

I was actually unable to post in the TB classifieds just now...
    so, what's a guy need to do before being granted access to that part of the forum???

(and for the love of all that is GOOD... please just wait for the ad... I don't need 50 PM's about it before the ad gets up... matter of fact
    I WILL IGNORE ALL PM'S UNTIL AFTER THE AD IS UP, and then I will start taking post-ad PM's in order as they come... I think this is only fair to the entire forum).

I just need to know what I must do before I can post in the classifieds. Need to make sure I'm doing this right, and would like to be able to access that.
    Any and all help is appreciated, thanks guys.

2. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

To access the Classifieds, become a Supporting Member. Just click the link on the left and follow the instructions. It's $20. Good luck and welcome to TB.

If that were a 4-banger I'd be all over it! (J/K!!!)

3. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well.. this one time.. at band camp..
    ^^What ShowLow said.

But personally, I wouldn't be ignoring anyone who's interested in your bass. If someone's interested and they see this thread and want to contact you about it, is it fair to make them wait and possibly get sniped out by someone else who happens to see your actual ad first? If they're interested, listen to what they have to say, whenever they say it!

Times are tough and it ain't easy to sell instruments like it used to be. And Pedullas are nice quality basses, but they don't fly off the selves so to speak, unless you're gonna practically give it away. The pool of people looking for one of those is relatively small. So I'm just offering some advice not to alienate any potential buyers with demands on them before you even set up a seller's account. Just $.02 from a member who has sold a few basses on here. Good luck with your sale!

4. LongtimeLurker

LongtimeLurker

Huh. Thought that would be fair to the forum. Maybe fair isn't the way to go here.
    OK, thanks for the input. Maybe It'd be better to just stick with Craigs then, and keep lowering the price until it sells.

On a side note... how do the boutique bass makers even stay in business when the basses don't even move very quickly at less than half the new price? How do they sell ANY at the sky-high new prices that are considerably more than twice the amount that I'm asking???
    I'm guessing that most of these builders are on the verge of folding up? Maybe they only get one order every 3 months and they have to work a regular day job all the rest of the time?
    Just looking for some insight on that one, if anyone knows...

Last question.... for a supporting member fee of $20, how long do I have access to the classifieds?? Just in case I do decide to list here afterall.
    Thanks in advance for the input!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Steelsack

Steelsack

hello lurker i been lurking here for sometime myself

7. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well.. this one time.. at band camp..
    I definitely don't mean to scare you off from here! You probably have a much better chance of selling it on TB than CL. I was just saying, don't ignore anyone's PMs who are interested, because you never know how long it will take or how much interest there will be, and the economy isn't helping us sellers right now. TB is the best place I've found to sell bass gear, better than feebay or CL.

I can't really comment on the state of the boutique builders and their biz, but I know that most of their clients are pretty well off and probably aren't affected too much by the economy. Nevertheless, I'm sure they can still feel the recession. But I think used gear is hit hard by it. I try to get 2/3 of the new price for a used item, and often you can. It just may take some time to find the buyer. TB is a powerful tool to find buyers though. And a lot of members are international, so if you're open to shipping overseas, that can allow you to sell faster and for a little more $$ too perhaps.

The $20 TB supporting membership lasts 1 year, but there are more expensive plans for 5 years and longer I think. Go to the "Paid Subscriptions" link on the left of your "My Talkbass" page and you can see all the info. Good luck and I definitely recommend spending the $20, I made my $$ back the first day literally on not having to pay feebay for selling the item.

8. DigitalMan

DigitalMan

CL lacks reach for specialized items. eBay would get you 1000's of times more exposure - as would TB with regard to the Pedulla addressable market.

Many boutique makers seem to have an ample pipeline of new builds. Their primary go to market strategy isn't built upon CL.

9. LongtimeLurker

LongtimeLurker

All right, thank you guys.

On the "fairness to the forum thing", I hear ya... bad stinkin' economy and you don't know how long you're gonna have to sit on things before they move. I still prefer to try keeping things as fair as possible, whenever possible, just the same.

2/3 the new price? Sheesh, that would have meant that for the $3800 new price on this bass, I'd have to be asking over $2,500.... I would think that's the sort of thing that an established bass shop might do, when they simply don't care if it sits in inventory for 5 years (I do understand that expensive inventory can serve simply to bring new lookers, who may buy other things/services... I do get that).

at any rate, I was asking $1,500 on craigs. Sold it today for $1,100 and I delivered to the guy's house. Maybe not the price I was looking for, but I got it moved and the money can now be used to pay for some more studio time.

I guess I did "OK"... sometimes that's all a guy can do in the timeframe he's working with, I guess.
    Truthfully, if I didn't need to raise money, it wouldn't have even been up for sale at all... but that's just how it goes when you're still climbing the ladder. Eventually I hope to be able to acquire (and hold on to long-term) a whole slew of good equipment... the kinds of stuff I read about every time I'm lurking TB.

Anyway-- thanks again for the input guys. I turned the new owner onto TB... it's the only contribution to the forum I could reasonably make at this time. Have a great week, guys.