1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Newbie strap question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Amara, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Amara

Amara Fumble-Fingered Beginner Supporting Member

I have a nice 4" strap. There's a wide part and a narrow part, and the narrow part fits into one of a number of slots, presumably for adjustment. There's a hole for the strap button in the wide part, and another in the narrow part.

Which goes in front? Does the wide part attach to the button on the tailpiece and the narrow part on the horn, or is it the other way around?
  2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Wide portion to horn, thin portion to tail.

I assume this question is tounge-in-cheek, as you seem to have nice gear and are a member of a few clubs here...
  3. ZenG

ZenG

The idea being that the wide part distributes any weight there may be more evenly on your 'Trap" muscles. (Between shoulder and neck" instead of having the narrower part digging in there.
  4. Amara

I'm actually serious, never having had a 4" strap before. But thanks!
  5. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

The slotted, narrow end goes attaches to the bottom of the bass; the wide end goes over your shoulder and onto the horn.
  6. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

I believe you!
  7. Amara

Does that configuration still hold true if I were to use a similar strap on an EAB? Rather than a horn at the 13th fret, I'd be attaching just past the nut, which would seem to put the whole wide part out over the fretboard.
  8. CraigTB

CraigTB

Either way works. I put the thick end on the upper horn like everyone else so far.

Some people do it the other way, especially old school players. See Jamerson pics here with the skinny end on the upper horn.

http://raresoul.com/2012/08/02/motowns-james-jamerson-dies-from-cirrhosis-of-the-liver/

In fact if you look close at these pictures you see the thick part is still going over his shoulder, so there wouldn't have been a difference in how the weight on the strap distributes to his shoulder. Maybe it was a cosmetic thing? You know, if you're looking sharp wearing a suit, the less strap showing in front the better...
  9. Major Softie

Major Softie

I can't stand straps that go out to the headstock. Have a luthier mount a strap button down at the bass of the neck and you'll find it a lot more friendly.
  10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

I kind of think that is more because the early straps were all narrow, except for a pad section that was supposed to go on your shoulder. They still make them. But I don't know anyone who actually uses those.

(edit) I just remembered a rockabilly guy I knew back in the day that used one of those. So in the thirty two years since I first went pro as a musician, I've encountered...one.
  11. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

A guitar player I used to play with always used one of those straps. (Still does.) He had a circa '74 or '75 natural Strat, original Twin Reverb amp, and his vintage Fender strap. This pic was about 20 years ago. He's on the left. I have an AV Reissue '62 P in this pic. I still play with the guitar player on the right.

[​IMG]
  12. Spectrum

Spectrum

I think Rickenbacker still sells those "vintage" straps with the thick pad part like the guitarist on the left in the above photo.

BTW, the title of this thread is awesome. I thought it was a thread about "the newbie strap" which sounds like some sort of twisted punishment for newbies.

"Practice your bass part, or you'll get the newbie strap!"
  13. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Never have been a fan of wide straps. My neck is so big a wide strap rides off the edge of my shoulder and always feels like it's about to slip off. I prefer the ROTM 2" wide nylon with leather tabs.
  14. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

The right way is the way that feels most comfortable for YOU. Been playing for 47 years, and I've seen straps worn both ways.
  15. DrSteve

DrSteve

Hey, not quite a newbe, but can't figure out how to soften the leather ends of a strap I for as a gift from my daughter. Like the strap but have a very tough time getting it over the buttons. And advice?
  16. keiththebassist

keiththebassist

Buy yourself some strap-locks from Dunlop or the like.

Just have to get it over the button once and then a pice of the buttn comes off with the strap each time you take it off.

Never play a nice bass without strap-locks! I learned the hard way...
  17. fraublugher

fraublugher

I don't understand this thread either . Never attach your strap to the headstock on a bass.
    If you're having shoulder pain , leather clothing also helps.
  18. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

I put my strap on my Tacoma Thunderchief ABG "backwards" because, IMO, it works much better that way. I use Grolsch beer bottle washers for security because the Tacoma has an (often PITA) endpin jack that can't be replaced by straplocks. The Tacoma has a standard strap button on the heel of the neck. Even though an ABG is typically lighter than an electric, I still wouldn't strap to the peghead at the nut. IMO, you don't want to put any more stress on that area.
    Try it both ways on your ABG; it doesn't cost you anything.