1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by ragc, Oct 26, 2013.

1. ragc

ragc

I am a re-incident bassist. In 1969-1972 I was the bassist in a high school garage rock band. My bass was an imitation Hofner "Beatle Bass" and I loved it. I gave it up when I went off to college.

I play guitar, and I have been playing bass on the guitar all these years without realizing it! I became aware of it when, on a whim, at age 59, I bought a "real" Hofner violin bass (not the vintage model, but the new Ignition Series, made in Indonesia). I restrung it with La Bella flatwounds to get the deep, dry "vintage sound" I like. Then I began playing it and realized I can play a lot of what I had been playing on the guitar..!

I ran into this forum when, worried that I am not distinguishing clearly some of the low notes, and, knowing that I am playing the correct frets, and that I have tuned the instrument correctly ( I am using the Cleartune I-Phone App as an aid), I "hear"myself out of tune. I googled the subject and ended up reading many of you agree it is a problem in the very low register and that it is common: I need to retrain my ear (I used to tune on stage by ear, back in the day). The quality of responses was such that I felt I had to join. If I have other questions (and I will!) this group seems to be a great place to ask them! So here I am, not having played in 41 years: Looking forward to playing again!
  2. Staccato

Staccato Supporting Member

Welcome, that's quite a history! Wish I'd had previous exp. when I picked up my P Bass in recent years.