1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by mrreason, Jan 15, 2014.

1. mrreason

mrreason

Are there any true newbies who have no prior experience playing any musical instrument? (By newbie I mean less than six months into their relationship with the bass). What have your experiences been like, how far along are you and is it what you expected? Just looking for the impressions of a kindred spirit.

This forum is great and I get lots of good info, but sometimes you cats are way over my head.

2. Cmymud

Cmymud

I will hit the one year mark next month. I started out memorizing the notes on the string. I play at church. I play with chord sheets. So far so good.

3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Whether you've been playing six months or six decades, everyone's been a newbie at some point. Early experiences can vary from extreme fun to complete terror & intimidation. Terminology comes in time. There are no dumb questions (ok - some are). Don't be afraid to ask. Bass is an awesome instrument. Stick with it through all circumstances. Welcome to TB!

4. Dan_Lie

Dan_Lie

Well , i got my first bass 30 minutes ago xD. And it's my first instrument , wish me luck !

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fearceol

fearceol

Yeah, best of luck with your new bass. You are in the right place here, to ask any questions you may have. :)

EDIT; Just noticed that you have done just that.

OP, while it may be interesting to compare notes with other newbies, I would not get too hung up on it.

Everyone is different and progresses at their own pace, depending on how much time and effort they put in.

7. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

www.studybass.com and the book Bass Guitar For Dummies can be a friend.

Good luck and welcome to the bottom end.