1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Newby would like to know what strings are on his bass

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by ErikvanD, Oct 25, 2013.

1. ErikvanD

ErikvanD

Hey all,

A good month ago I started lessons on the DB together with my 7 year old daughter and we are both just loving it! At the moment I am renting a bass. The Luthier told me it is fitted with Pirastro Obligato strings but both me and my teacher doubt that. Or at least for a few strings. I have made a few pics of both ends of the strings so maybe some of you could help me help identify the strings?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    Erik

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

G and D are indeed Pirastro Obligato.

The E seems to be a Pirastro Flexocore.

The A might be a Thomastik Spirocore Mittel, but to know this a picture of the ball ends might be helpful. It is also unclear if it is the 3/4 or 4/4 string (which are different in tension for the same vibrating string length) since this could only be found out by measuring the total (uncut) length of the string.

Pirastro uses a cylindrical ball end for steel core strings like Flexocore (with a number) and ring shaped ball end for synthetic core strings like the Obligato.
    Thomastik uses a barrel shaped ball end with a roman number for Spirocore.

A lot of players that tried the Obligato didn't like the rolling of A and E, so this might be the reason why there are other strings used on E and A.
  3. ErikvanD

ErikvanD

Thanks for the very quick reply! Below a few pictures of the ball end

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cannot seem to find any Roman number
  4. eub_player

eub_player

Disclosures:
    Formerly known as Francois Blais...
    A doesn't seem to be a Spiro.
    A S-S Red Label maybe?
  5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/The Bass Spa, String Repairman/L & M Vancouver
    If that's a Spirocore A string, There should be an "O" stamped in one side of the ball, and a III on the other.

The hot spot from the flash is obscuring it in the photo but it almost looks like the edge of an 'O'...
  6. ErikvanD

ErikvanD

Well, I just looked again and there is indeed a Roman III stamped on top and an O on the bottom of the A string ball... Could hardly reach my bass due to all my kids toys lying arround so I missed the stampings the first time... So it must be a Spirocore then.

If the E is indeed a Flexocore we have the set complete! Thanks!
  7. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Yup, Flexocor 92 on the E.